Relink Image Sequence Layers?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jayfaker

Relink Image Sequence Layers?

Post by jayfaker »

Hi, I'm trying to relink some layers that were image sequences, but I select the first image in the sequence and it shows that, but won't read it as a sequence. What can I do?
Greenlaw

Re: Relink Image Sequence Layers?

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm guessing you imported the sequence using the old Image Sequence plugin? It sounds like what you may actually have there is a Switch Layer. Normally, an imported Image Sequence Layer is only one layer with an internal link the sequence.

If it's a Switch Layer, it will not switch when you have one of the contained images selected. You need to be on the Switch Layer itself or completely outside of the Switch Layer. This is assuming you have the appropriate keyframes for the Switch Layer to make it 'play'.

Also, if you're using the old import script to import a sequence, I recall it was pretty fussy about file names. You'll need to see the notes inside the script for the rules.

If you import the sequence using the new Image Sequence command, it should work whether selected or not, but there will only one layer for the entire sequence. What might prevent an Image Sequence layer from playing properly is when it's offset (maybe it was imported it at a later frame and actually begins there,) or the layer's settings were changed in a way that it won't play properly. If you import it at frame 0, it should just play as normal.

If you want to try importing using the new Import Image Sequence command, make sure you're not selecting the normal Image option by mistake. That will import only the first frame and not the entire sequence. (I still make that mistake sometimes when I'm not paying attention.) :)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

BTW, it's possible to convert an Image Sequence Layer to a Switch Layer by right clicking on it and choosing the convert command. You might wish to do this if you intend to re-time the sequence in Moho. But to be honest, that's probably a lot easier to do that in a program like AE if you have it.

AFAIK, you can't convert a Switch Layer into an Image Sequence Layer. If you've made the conversion to Switch Layer and need to go back to an Image Sequence Layer, you'll probably need to re-import it instead.
jayfaker

Post by jayfaker »

Good information. I'm pretty sure it was imported with the new tool originally (it was done by someone else). I ended up reimporting the sequence as a video instead, so that now when I relink it's just a video. It's easier for me this way, I guess. Anyway, thanks!
M0H0_Sapiens

Post by M0H0_Sapiens »

Hi Jayfaker. (:

It's common bug since begining of this feature. You can't replace source for image sequence with "Set source Image". Actually I didn't find way how to replace it, so you always need to make new layer.

Interesting fact, this replacement will change linked source. When you try "Reveal Source Image" you will see path for new source but it will not replace in real.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

When I use Set Source Image and point to the same sequence or a different sequence, it does replace the sequence as an Image Sequence layer.

The only thing I can think of that might break the connection is if you forget to click Apply before closing the Layer Settings window. if you don't click Apply, it doesn't load the new sequence.

In fact, when you click Apply, you should see the Image Sequence settings (Loop, FPS, and other playback options) suddenly become active. If you don't click Apply, the options remain inactive. That may or may not be a bug, I'm not sure...but clicking Apply should import the replacement sequence and enable the Image Sequence settings for it.
M0H0_Sapiens

Post by M0H0_Sapiens »

Hi Greenlaw, nice to meet you (.

I really tried everything. :) APLLY button was 1st thing. I have this problem with all 12.2 builds at home and work too. And heard about this problem by others so I guess it's a common bug.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's very interesting. Which platform are you on, Mac or Win?

Maybe I can get a message to the devs to look here.
M0H0_Sapiens

Post by M0H0_Sapiens »

That will be great. I'm on Win 10. Are you using Mac or how it's possible that it's working for you? :)

However I'm not very positive about near future improvement. :D Recoding core brings a lot of bugs. I'm pretty sure you're fighting as well with Moho dropping more then autumn leaves. (. It was the worst time for changing devs but I hope new team will handle it.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

The most likely culprit is numbering. Moho like it's numbers simple. IE. pic1, pic2, pic3 is OK, but pic 1a, pic 2a, pic 3a is not.

If this is your problem,

use:

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/

Dale
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

M0H0_Sapiens wrote:It's common bug since begining of this feature. You can't replace source for image sequence with "Set source Image". Actually I didn't find way how to replace it, so you always need to make new layer.

Interesting fact, this replacement will change linked source. When you try "Reveal Source Image" you will see path for new source but it will not replace in real.
Last week I happened to be working with a lot of Image Seqeunces in Moho and I was seeing the problem you described. It seems to happen randomly but it's definitely happening. At first I thought it was a refresh issue, so after clicking Apply/Okay, I closed the scene and reopened it...but then Moho still displayed the originally selected sequence, not the replacement sequence. Like you, the only option seemed to be to import the sequence as a new layer.

One thing I noticed is that my memory usage had become very low because I also had AE open and I was working with unusually large files in AE (multiple 5k image sequences,) which didn't leave much RAM for Moho to work with. I don't normally run my memory to the edge like this so maybe that's the culprit? Just a thought.