Steampunk Bounty film project done with Moho - need advice

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GCharb

Steampunk Bounty film project done with Moho - need advice

Post by GCharb »

Hello everyone!

A few months back I posted about a 2D animated film project of mine, finally started to work on it, most of the pre-production is done, but before we can start on production we need to secure some funding, and we choose the obvious solution, a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo.

Here is a temp link for the campaign, no graphics on yet, or video, just the skeleton. https://www.indiegogo.com/project/preview/04150170

I would appreciate if you guys could have a look at it and see how this could be improved overhaul, is it missing perks, maybe a perk for animators, like a 4-6 tutorial showing the whole animation process, perhaps including all the Moho files for the movie?

Any comment would be useful, good or bad, as long as it is constructive criticism.

Here is the script for the movie for those who have not seen it.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0obz102du ... nty_EN.pdf
dueyftw

Re: Steampunk Bounty film project done with Moho - need advi

Post by dueyftw »

I think you should add something for 40- 50 and 100, 200 500.

Last get someone to video you making your pitch. Tell why this is such a good story that it need to be animated.

Dale
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Hi Gilles

The target dates need updating! May be worth linking them to funds raised rather than hard dates (e.g. 12 months after $5k ...)

Are you planning just an English language version (or maybe French as well)?

The draft script could benefit from an editorial review to take out a few typos etc. Also, perhaps indicate which scenes / lines / details are in which version (e.g. "this scene not in the 10 minute version").

You mentioned tutorials -- is this the vehicle to create that tutorial set you were planning some time back?

The link to the facebook page from the original post on this subject is broken - did you take the page down? A multi-channel approach to engaging potential subscribers (and directing them to the fundraising site) is usually a good idea.

I know you've said that graphics etc are not yet on the site - but it would be good to see some concept art.

hth
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

dueyftw wrote:I think you should add something for 40- 50 and 100, 200 500.

Last get someone to video you making your pitch. Tell why this is such a good story that it need to be animated.

Dale
Hello Dale, been a while, how are you doing?

I was thinking of offering a giclee print of the poster for 50$, a 3D print of the main character for 250$, and for 500$ we would make someone a character in the movie.

I was also thinking of a special perk for animators, maybe a 4-6 hours tutorial with all the production files for like 60$, what do you think?
hayasidist wrote:Hi Gilles

The target dates need updating! May be worth linking them to funds raised rather than hard dates (e.g. 12 months after $5k ...)

The draft script could benefit from an editorial review to take out a few typos etc. Also, perhaps indicate which scenes / lines / details are in which version (e.g. "this scene not in the 10 minute version").

You mentioned tutorials -- is this the vehicle to create that tutorial set you were planning some time back?

The link to the facebook page from the original post on this subject is broken - did you take the page down? A multi-channel approach to engaging potential subscribers (and directing them to the fundraising site) is usually a good idea.

I know you've said that graphics etc are not yet on the site - but it would be good to see some concept art.

hth
I will look into the dates, but more money means more ressources, so the dates should be similar, but I'll look it over.

English and french, and Spanish subtitles, the voice over acting will be done by peoples I know here, we only need a bit of money top build a decent recording setup.

Yeah, the script is a first draft, it needs correcting, I posted it as a reference, the story will probably change a bit over production, as we get more into the visual stuff.

To be honest I recall very little of the tutorial project I had 6 years ago, I know some peoples are still pissed at what happened, but I have no way to retrace everyone involved, I still apologize to peoples about the whole fuck-up, but you need to understand that for 2 years I was a complete mess and that I basically trashed everything I had done before that point, hopefully peoples will get over it and do as I did and go forward!

Yes, the original FB paqe was only for the project, since the whole thing has moved to this page https://www.facebook.com/MadSteamStudio, which is the main page for the studio, I am an operator in a huge steampunk community, Steampunk Tendencies, I should get some interesting traffic from there, and of course there is the Indiegogo community, which, although not as large as Kickstarter, is pretty active, so I should get some peoples interested there as well.

I will upload images in the next couple of days.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I think it will help your fundraising campaign to present the project in the most interesting way possible. Adding the concept art and some carefully selected teaser scenes, (for instance the scene where she reacts to learning about the bounty), will add appeal to the project. But the descriptions could also be more interesting if they focused on narrative questions about the story instead of providing information. More of a "show, don't tell, and better yet let the audience wonder" philosophy. For example, it seems like you have a major spoiler in your project description, "A 2D animated film about a bounty huntress who goes after the mad scientist who saved her life." In the script, you're slowly revealing the backstory for narrative effect. Maybe something along the lines of "...A bounty huntress pursues a fugitive scientist from her past."

Overall, this project sounds really cool; I'm excited to see it move forward!
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

GCharb wrote:
dueyftw wrote:I think you should add something for 40- 50 and 100, 200 500.

Dale
Hello Dale, been a while, how are you doing?

I was thinking of offering a giclee print of the poster for 50$, a 3D print of the main character for 250$, and for 500$ we would make someone a character in the movie.

I was also thinking of a special perk for animators, maybe a 4-6 hours tutorial with all the production files for like 60$, what do you think?
hayasidist wrote:Hi Gilles

hth
I will look into the dates, but more money means more ressources, so the dates should be similar, but I'll look it over.

English and french, and Spanish subtitles, the voice over acting will be done by peoples I know here, we only need a bit of money top build a decent recording setup.

Yeah, the script is a first draft, it needs correcting, I posted it as a reference, the story will probably change a bit over production, as we get more into the visual stuff.

To be honest I recall very little of the tutorial project I had 6 years ago, I know some peoples are still pissed at what happened, but I have no way to retrace everyone involved, I still apologize to peoples about the whole fuck-up, but you need to understand that for 2 years I was a complete mess and that I basically trashed everything I had done before that point, hopefully peoples will get over it and do as I did and go forward!

Yes, the original FB paqe was only for the project, since the whole thing has moved to this page https://www.facebook.com/MadSteamStudio, which is the main page for the studio, I am an operator in a huge steampunk community, Steampunk Tendencies, I should get some interesting traffic from there, and of course there is the Indiegogo community, which, although not as large as Kickstarter, is pretty active, so I should get some peoples interested there as well.

I will upload images in the next couple of days.
I'm doing great. Went camping and I'm on my way home.
I like the idea of 3d prints. If you have access to one, I would print the main character out. I would be holding it in your video pitch.

You could offer one on one hour help in Moho for 100.

I would be asking for advice on any forum your active on to get other opinions on the campaign. It's mainly to let people know that your going to start one soon. You have a time limit on the campaign. The more people who know about it the better.

Dale
chucky

Post by chucky »

Well I can't give any advice on crowdfunding, but I can wish you well on the project Gilles.
I hope I can maybe find the resources to chip in a 'couple' of bux , down the line.
I'm tapped out right at this ,moment.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Thanks for all the comments guys, I made a list and all of them will be considered, much appreciated.

Chucky, no worries man, I'll probably start the campaign around the first of august, will show demos until then, and there are many ways to help a campaign, like sharing it on your network and the such!