Advanced dangling.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

coatsiecoates

Advanced dangling.

Post by coatsiecoates »

If a string of bones pivots on origin with physics, the "rope" will dangle naturally.

Is there a way to attach the tip(end) of the "rope" or "cord" to an object so the rest of the cord dangles in the middle whilst dragging the end around? For instance, corded hair trimmers, or a telephone handset, or a rope on a boat tethered to a dock.

I'm going bonkers searching for an answer without resorting to forums.
jezjones29

Re: Advanced dangling.

Post by jezjones29 »

I would just do this with point animation. It will give you more control.

The 'lock tip' option (bone physics tool) can be used on a chain of bones (with the pivot on), this would give you the drop in the middle of the chain. But I don't think you can't move the end of the chain around once the animation is started.

Related post: viewtopic.php?t=20575
coatsiecoates

Post by coatsiecoates »

Sheesh. I got a pretty good version of what I was looking to do with a single bone, binding the first point of the vector layer to it, and enabling bone dynamics.

The last point stays stationary, and the cord dangles and sways to a complete stop.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

There are two approaches I use.

One is a string of bones with a target pin bone at the end of it.

The other is to make one a single stroke with a few points in the middle. Place two or more points at the top, what it is attached to. Change the Display Quality setting to paths only.
Put you stroke (rope) in a bone layer. Add pin bones for each point. Move the lower points for the animation. To lock the bottom, use two pin bones that you don't move.

What your doing is point animation with pin bones.

Copy the the pin bones and paste them on a upper layer bone that has character or what ever your animating. Delete the original pin bones. Bind each point to the new layer pin bones. Now you don't have to go to the layer to animate.

Dale