Enhanced Layer Alignment Feature

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BigSoftEd

Enhanced Layer Alignment Feature

Post by BigSoftEd »

Hi,

Can anyone shed light on the "Enhanced Layer Alignment" feature? I'm trying to follow the instructions on P184 of the user's manual, but not getting the effect described. I thought the intention was that each extruded box I draw will face the current direction of the camera. Instead, every box I draw, on each new layer I add, always faces the same direction as all the others, regardless of the direction the camera is pointed. I may be misunderstanding the intention of this feature.

It's not helped by the phrase, "Use the Orbit Workspace tool to rotate the camera", as I understood the Orbit Workspace tool to have no effect on the camera. But then, Orbit Workspace is listed under Camera Features in Appendix A: Product Comparison (as well as under Workspace Features). So it might be I'm misunderstanding how to move the camera using "Orbit Workspace".

Any help gratefully received (new Moho Pro user here!).
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Enhanced Layer Alignment Feature

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Oh, the manual needs to be updated.
In the past, by default, every new layer created was automatically aligned to face the camera in the current position. That is a useful feature for some cases, but it was also confusing for many users who didn't understand why their layers had different alignments or behave differently when the camera was animated. So since 11.2 (if I remember well) that option was disabled by default.
If you want to make that exercise from the manual, you will have to go the Layers/Objects tab in Edit -> Preferences and check "Auto center new layers".
From my own experience, I recommend you to uncheck that ticket after you finish that part of the manual.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
BigSoftEd

Re: Enhanced Layer Alignment Feature

Post by BigSoftEd »

Thanks, that makes sense now!