Smart Bone Actions involving the Transform Bone Tool?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Fonce Falooda

Smart Bone Actions involving the Transform Bone Tool?

Post by Fonce Falooda »

Okay, another little snag. I'm trying to make a Smart Bone Action that responds to the Transform Bone tool, and it's not working.

In my Smart Bone Action, I make the bone shorter and adjust the points how I want them to go, but when I make the bone shorter with the Transform Bone Tool on the main timeline, it ignores what I've told it to do.

Should Smart Bone Actions respond to the Transform Bone tool? This is another one of those things that I don't know if I'm missing something, or if it's impossible. Thanks!
Fonce Falooda

Re: Smart Bone Actions involving the Transform Bone Tool?

Post by Fonce Falooda »

So I woke up and already thought of a workaround, but I can't test it 'cause I'm at work.

Maybe I should just do the point manipulation AND the bone shortening inside it's own Smart Dial? I think it'd be the same outcome, it's just I'd be controlling it from OVER THERE, as opposed to right on the bone itself. But that's fine.

I'll test it tonight and report back. :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Only bone rotation controls smart bone stuff. So scaling alone won't do it, and you will need to control both scale and points with a smart bone rotation.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Wes beat me to it, but yeah, you can only use rotation in a Smart Bone Dial, but you can control any of the transforms in another item (move, rotate, scale,) with that rotation.

Also, keep in mind that a Smart Bone can have two different actions assigned (right turn and left turn actions,) and you can use a Smart Bone to control other Smart Bone Dials.

A simple example: make a WinkR SBD to close the right eye, and a WinkL SBD to close the left eye, then a third Blink SBD to rotate the first two SBDs together.

Here's a more complicated example: make five separate SBDs with two actions each, one to curl a finger (turn right) and another to angle a finger (turn left,) and then add a sixth 'master' SBD that rotates all five SBD's together to close the hand into a fist (turn right) or spread the fingers apart (turn left). This setup gives you an incredible number of posing choices with only a few controls and a single drawing.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fonce Falooda

Post by Fonce Falooda »

Greenlaw and Synthsin-

Thanks for setting me straight! Yep. Had to use a Smart Dial to make it happen. I was just thinking that I could trigger the morphing by transforming the bone the same way you bake Smart Actions into Bone Rotations, but this well beyond an acceptable alternative. :)

And I'm gonna keep that deluxe Smart Dial configuration in mind, the "One Dial to Rule Them All" thing for eye blinks and fists whatnot. Thanks!