Moho crashs

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Gaston

Moho crashs

Post by Gaston »

Hi Forum,
Moho crashs by using the switch layer. My character is ready to go, but while I'm switch the hand (switch layer) it crashs. Bug?

Mac Pro, 24 GB, El Capitan, Moho 12.1
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Moho crashs

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Is there any chance you could share the file to take a look?
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Gaston

Post by Gaston »

Hi victor,
I don't want to post it here, because it has not yet been released. But I can send a private massage to you. Is that ok?
Gaston

Post by Gaston »

It's only a problem with the right hand switch. The left hand works fine with the same hand shapes in it.
If I change the shape in the right hand and sliding on the timeline Moho crashs. :(
Any ideas?
Gaston

Post by Gaston »

Now I've built a new switch layer for the right hand. It seems to run. :D
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It happens very rarely but sometimes I'll run into a layer or item that misbehaves for no apparent reason, and recreating that item seems to set it straight again. When this happens, I'm guessing that the item has somehow gotten internally corrupted, and there's not much you can do to 'un-break' it at that point.

I saw something like that recently in another user's rig where a leg bone wouldn't properly target the foot target bone. Deleting that leg bone and replacing it with a new one solved the problem. Unfortunately, we never figured out what caused the problem in the first place. In another case a while back, I had a switch layer that stopped switching completely. I created a new switch layer, dragged the contents to it, and then it worked fine again.

Luckily, it's not something that happens often but when it does happen, I often find that making a replacement item is often quicker than trying to make the broken one work work.

I also make a lot of incremental saves of my work-in-progress scenes, so if I suddenly run into a problem, I can usually just regress one or two versions and avoid the problem. At worst, I might lose 15 - 30 mins of work, usually a lot less. IMO, this is good practice when using any creative program, whether it's for 2D or 3D creation. Many of these programs are very complex and they have constantly change and keep track of a huge amount of data. Sooner or later, you can almost expect something to break so take precautions. Occasionally quitting and relaunching a program, or restarting your computer can help too. (Thank goodness for SSD and HD SSD drives! I recently replaced the boot drive in my old workstation with an HD SSD, and I hardly have time to get coffee now. Oh, wait...is that a good thing?) :)