How do I change the size of a frame that I printed?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

taftdavidhaynes

How do I change the size of a frame that I printed?

Post by taftdavidhaynes »

I printed out one frame of my scene. It covers the whole area of my work space. However when I print it out as a saved jpeg, it is like 3 inches by 6 inches. I want it to be like 8 inches by 10 inches. How can I accomplish this?

Greenlaw

Re: How do I change the size of a frame that I printed?

Post by Greenlaw »

There is probably an option in your printer settings panel for scale-to-fit. This will stretch the image to fit the available print space. Note that this simply scales your image to fit the page, it does not increase resolution.

Because of how small the image printed out, it sounds like your image was rendered at a fairly low resolution for your printer, so that might be another consideration. If the image looks blurry when printed, you probably need to re-render the image at a resolution appropriate for your printer.

If you want the image to be printed at specifically 8 x 10, you might need to set that in the document settings for the image in a paint program (like Photoshop, for example.) A 'standard' resolution for a print-ready image at 8 x 10 inches would be 2400 x 3000. That's figured at 300 dpi, which is typical for commercial printing.

200 dpi or so is probably fine for many home desktop printers, in which case you might render at 1600 x 2000.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
obtusity

Re: How do I change the size of a frame that I printed?

Post by obtusity »

You may need to change which DPI (dots per inch) setting the printer uses in either: the program you are using to print the image, or (less likely) in the printer settings when you print the image.

The number of tiny ink dots that your printer can spray across every inch of paper is often much higher than the amount of electronic pixels per inch of screen display.
So, your if your printer by default is spraying 300 tiny dots per inch while your screen is showing about 100 pixels per inch, your printed output will be only a third the width and height of your screen image.

File menu, Project Settings in Moho to change the size of your output image (probably using Custom for printed output).

Now go back and re-read Greenlaw's last two paragraphs.