Freehand Tool

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

toshiyori

Freehand Tool

Post by toshiyori »

I have use the "Freehand" tool allot in Anime Studio pro 10, now I have Moho 12 Pro I want to know what it can do that pro 10 could not. I see in the add that Moho 12 pro has improved the freehand tool, is there a tutorial showing what Moho 12 Pro does with the freehand tool ?
synthsin75

Re: Freehand Tool

Post by synthsin75 »

The improvements a more about things like faithfully depicting your drawn line, with real sharp corners where there should be, and fewer needed points, since the addition of bezier curves.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

The Moho Free Hand tool has been improved a lot over ASP. Now you have a lot more control over the number of points it generates and the quality of the line is more accurate. The new beziers help a lot towards that.

Unfortunately, I think the beziers can also cause different kinds of errors, especially at the ends of the lines and where points get welded. I often get these weird double-welds and loops. Turing off Auto Wel helps but doesn't solve the problem. Even turning on Auto Close can create some weird welds.

FH also seems to work differently with some devices. In my case, I get very different results between using it on the Cintiq 22HD I use at work and on my personal Windows 10 tablet.

I occasionally use FH for simple 'non-deforming' drawings but I get frustrated with it for quick drawing and FBF. I often wind up doing so much clean up after using FH that I go back and redraw everything with the Add Point tool anyway. As a matter of fact, I sometimes use FH just to 'rough out' what I want, and then reconstruct the art in a second layer using Add Point.

FWIW, I did find FH very useful a couple of weeks to rough out a character animation in FBF mode before I animated it for real with a rigged character. It was a good way to show my supervisor what I had in mind before I committed myself to doing the final animation.

As you can tell, my feelings are a little mixed about it. I think FH is much better than it used to be but it still needs work. It's almost there...maybe in the next go around.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
toshiyori

Post by toshiyori »

Thanks for your reply greenlaw, I think like you, mix the FreeHand with Add Points Tool.