Problem on create animation with photoshop file

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

punix

Problem on create animation with photoshop file

Post by punix »

Hi! everybody,

I'm now have problem on create animation from the stuff i drawn in photoshop.

After I finished drawing foreground trees and I imported it to ASP.
and then , I created new layer in photoshop and draw character . (for add on behind the foreground trees)

BUT when I press ctrl+s (save) to save update in
photoshop file,

I come back to ASP and found that the foreground trees (that i imported before) is change to the character !

I didn't even replace or merge layer in photoshop. I just save update with separate layer of tree and character.

All i have to do is redo it from the beginning.

Can anyone fix this problem?

Thank you
Greenlaw

Re: Problem on create animation with photoshop file

Post by Greenlaw »

This is why I use still use separate PNG output from PSD instead of the PSD directly. I tend to revise the original PSD a lot and if you create or delete layers a lot, you risk breaking the relationship between ASP/Moho and Photoshop. This feature works best if you're not planning to change the layer structure too much.

With individual PNG, image layers links are less likely to get confused because every layer is pointing to a specific file. To speed up the setup process, I like to use Export Layers to Files Fast to do this. The only issue I have with this Photoshop script is that it doesn't overwrite existing PNGs so you'll need to delete files when you run it again.

At work we recently switched to using Photoshop CC which has Generator, a feature that can automatically save and update PNG files from layers as you edit them. I've experimented with this feature at home for some non-Moho projects and I think it might be useful for writing out layers for ASP/Moho too. TBD.

BTW, layered PSD support seems a bit improved in Moho. I used it on one assignment a few months ago and it worked really well most of the time, but I had to switch back to PNG again because I eventually had to edit the Photoshop layers in a way that broke the layer IDs for Moho.

This isn't a ASP/Moho bug, it's just that certain actions (like merging layers) in Photoshop can alter the layer IDs in a way that confuses Moho. You need to be aware of that when working in Photoshop and avoid those actions.

FYI, in Photoshop, it's possible to paste items (like merged layers) into an existing layer that's currently referenced by ASP/Moho if you clear that layer first--this is a good trick to avoid altering the layer ID. If there is even on pixel in that layer, Photoshop will create a new layer (with a different layer ID, naturally.) And if you use Ctrl-Shift-V, it will preserve the position for you. Hope this helps.
Mr.Pete

Post by Mr.Pete »

WHY - when I import a PS file as LAYERS are all the layers invisible
How can I activate them?

Is there a preference here in MOHO 12 I am missing or something?

Greenlaw wrote:This is why I use still use separate PNG output from PSD instead of the PSD directly. I tend to revise the original PSD a lot and if you create or delete layers a lot, you risk breaking the relationship between ASP/Moho and Photoshop. This feature works best if you're not planning to change the layer structure too much.

With individual PNG, image layers links are less likely to get confused because every layer is pointing to a specific file. To speed up the setup process, I like to use Export Layers to Files Fast to do this. The only issue I have with this Photoshop script is that it doesn't overwrite existing PNGs so you'll need to delete files when you run it again.

At work we recently switched to using Photoshop CC which has Generator, a feature that can automatically save and update PNG files from layers as you edit them. I've experimented with this feature at home for some non-Moho projects and I think it might be useful for writing out layers for ASP/Moho too. TBD.

BTW, layered PSD support seems a bit improved in Moho. I used it on one assignment a few months ago and it worked really well most of the time, but I had to switch back to PNG again because I eventually had to edit the Photoshop layers in a way that broke the layer IDs for Moho.

This isn't a ASP/Moho bug, it's just that certain actions (like merging layers) in Photoshop can alter the layer IDs in a way that confuses Moho. You need to be aware of that when working in Photoshop and avoid those actions.

FYI, in Photoshop, it's possible to paste items (like merged layers) into an existing layer that's currently referenced by ASP/Moho if you clear that layer first--this is a good trick to avoid altering the layer ID. If there is even on pixel in that layer, Photoshop will create a new layer (with a different layer ID, naturally.) And if you use Ctrl-Shift-V, it will preserve the position for you. Hope this helps.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Are you using Moho Pro or Debut? Just asking because Photoshop Layers isn't supported in Debut.

If you're using Pro, make sure you're importing at frame zero. If you import while on a later frame, the images are active from that frame forward and will be invisible before that frame.