Switch key circles or pills?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

strider2000

Switch key circles or pills?

Post by strider2000 »

In Moho 12, I've noticed that sometimes switch keys look like circles and sometimes they look like pills. I would have initially guessed that the difference was based on the frame by frame setting, but ...

I have a character with the three standard head views, 3/4 left, front ,and 3/4 right. They all have mouth switch layers that, I thought was exactly the same, except that the points are moved to match the view.

However, when I key the same lip sync, by copying keys from one switch layer to the next, sometimes they show up as circles, and sometimes as pills.

Anyone know why this is? It's not a problem, I'm just curious.

neeters_guy

Re: Switch key circles or pills?

Post by neeters_guy »

This has been discussed here: Switch Layer Keyframes
Per synth: If you turn on interpolate sublayers you'll get the old style keyframes [circles].
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

The pills represent 'hold' frames. You see them in FBF layers too. Dots are single frame keyframes, which is why they appear for Switch Layers in Interpolation Mode.

In fact, almost any normal key can become a 'hold' key by stretching it. Just select a key and then Alt-click-drag the key. (I think the exceptions is a Cycle key, where a hold wouldn't make sense.)

A 'hold' key shouldn't be confused with a key in Step interpolation mode. While both may hold the current state for an item, a 'hold' key will only do so until the end of the 'hold' duration, and a Step keyframe will hold its state until the next keyframe.

You can also 'hold' a key by simply copying a key and pasting it down the timeline anywhere before the next keyframe. (I think I use this method most of the time for bones but it depends on what's being animated.)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Ah, that is indeed the situation for my animation. I knew I must have set something different between the layers, but I've been working with the characters so long I didn't remember setting "interpolate sublayers" on any of them.

Thanks neeters_guy and Greenlaw for great info :D