Can Moho 12 export animations w transparent BG

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

stealingfeathers

Can Moho 12 export animations w transparent BG

Post by stealingfeathers »

Good morning all!

On occasion, I've had the need to export an animation with a transparent BG. This was possible with Anime Studio, but doesn't seem so with Moho 12. Is there a new process, or have we lost this option? I run Moho on a PC, by the way.

Thanks!
slowtiger

Re: Can Moho 12 export animations w transparent BG

Post by slowtiger »

Just select a codec which supports alpha.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
stealingfeathers

Thanks for the reply, but I don't follow. Can you be more specific?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

When exporting a video, choose a codec which supports alpha - that's it.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

Typically exporting to a PNG image sequence would allow for a transparent background too... Then import the image sequence into a video editor as a clip...
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Any Quicktime codec with Millions of colors+ will export transparency. If you're importing these back into Moho, only 32bit Moho will play them, since Quicktime on PC is only 32bit.

And if you don't have a Legacy Quicktime option, you'll need to install Quicktime. But due to security issues on PC, only install Quicktime Essentials, not the Quicktime Player (all options in the same install).
stealingfeathers

There doesn't seem to be a 32 bit option for Moho 12, the way there was an option for Anime Studio 32 bit. That's why I was asking this question in the forum. Therefore, none of the settings you mention seem to be available in Moho 12 now (for PC anyway).

Ha ha, nevermind. I'm just appending to my message. I had forgot to install the 32 bit Moho files when I first installed. I'm all set now! Thanks for the help everyone.

synthsin75 wrote:Any Quicktime codec with Millions of colors+ will export transparency. If you're importing these back into Moho, only 32bit Moho will play them, since Quicktime on PC is only 32bit.

And if you don't have a Legacy Quicktime option, you'll need to install Quicktime. But due to security issues on PC, only install Quicktime Essentials, not the Quicktime Player (all options in the same install).
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Glad you got it sorted out.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

When you install Moho, it offers the option to also install the x32 version of Moho. Even if you don't use it, you need it to render Quicktime. I think Moho Exporter will show the option but only when the x32 version is installed. (This is because Quicktime is x32.)

For compositing elements, I personally find it easier and more flexible to use PNG image sequences with a transparent BG. Most compositing and editing programs can import that, and you can do a lot more with frames than you can with a movie clip.

Edit: Just saw your reply. Never mind. :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:When you install Moho, it offers the option to also install the x32 version of Moho. Even if you don't use it, you need it to render Quicktime. I think Moho Exporter will show the option but only when the x32 version is installed. (This is because Quicktime is x32.)

For compositing elements, I personally find it easier and more flexible to use PNG image sequences with a transparent BG. Most compositing and editing programs can import that, and you can do a lot more with frames than you can with a movie clip.

Good point. Since we now have image sequence layers, that basically work like a movie layer, image sequences are much more viable to import into Moho.
stealingfeathers

Yeah the image sequence is a very good option, and it is definitely more flexible. Still, I sometimes prefer to use a rendered video w transparent BG. As you saw, I just needed to install the 32 bit files that I forgot the first time around. Thanks again!
Greenlaw wrote:When you install Moho, it offers the option to also install the x32 version of Moho. Even if you don't use it, you need it to render Quicktime. I think Moho Exporter will show the option but only when the x32 version is installed. (This is because Quicktime is x32.)