Making first cartoon!!! Need some guidance...

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rafael

Making first cartoon!!! Need some guidance...

Post by rafael »

Hey guys!

I'm freshly unemployed, all out of f*cks, and am going to make a cartoon in Moho 12/After Effects! I'm not a beginner as far as animation or video work goes, but I am a beginner to Moho. So, I've just about finished designing my first character in Moho-after making it in ProCreate, then changing my mind and making it in Illustrator, then changing my mind again, and making it in Moho- and I need to rig it.

I've been digging through the ASP/MOHO videos, and it seems like every one I watch starts a little further than I should be, and directs me to the video previous to it. So now I'm back to a tutorial for ASP 9. My question is: Do I really need to watch such an old tutorial? Is there something newer I could/should view instead?

Where do you guys recommend I start?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts, and I'm glad to be joining the community here!

Here is my character BTW. It's going to be a Walking Dead spoof. :)

rafael

Re: Making first cartoon!!! Need some guidance...

Post by rafael »

Just found a decent video by ShoNuff93. Gonna dive into it.
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

rafael wrote:Just found a decent video by ShoNuff93. Gonna dive into it.
Please post what you found.

There are other people who could benefit by seeing what you find and the responses to your thread.

Thank you
rafael

Post by rafael »

o0Ampy0o wrote:
rafael wrote:Just found a decent video by ShoNuff93. Gonna dive into it.
Please post what you found.

There are other people who could benefit by seeing what you find and the responses to your thread.

Thank you
Whoops! Here is a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQjaayPOeHw

The good old 'just screw around with stuff till you figure it out' method is working well too. Figuring out how to control facial features with smart bones currently. Pretty fun program so far. Not too keen on the drawing, but there are aspects of it that I really appreciate, like hiding edges, edge weight etc.

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

rafael wrote:The good old 'just screw around with stuff till you figure it out' method is working well too.
Yeah, that method works for me every day. :D

I think going through the manual at least once is a good way start. I don't mean you need to read and memorize everything, just get familiar with what's there and what the program is capable of. This way, if you get stuck later, you know where you might find some answers.

The built in tutorials are helpful too but sometimes they can lead you down the wrong path because some of the tutorials are for 'legacy' tools and techniques. Not that they're not still useful but for new users it may be difficult to distinguish older techniques from currently preferred techniques.

But IMO, the best way to learn is to make a small (to start) project for yourself (as you seem to be doing,) try a bunch of stuff, and get used to messing up...a lot, probably. It's okay to mess up if you can learn from the mistakes, and sometimes the mistakes will reveal useful things you didn't know about the program.

And when you really get stuck, ask questions here. There are a lot of experienced users here who are happy to share info.

That's a cool looking character by the way.