UHD (3840 x 2160)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hoptoad

UHD (3840 x 2160)

Post by Hoptoad »

I'm doing some backgrounds for a cartoon of my own invention that may take a few years to finish (I'm kinda slow and don't have a lot of free time). The cartoon's dimensions will be HD (1920 x 1080). I'm making the backgrounds at double the resolution of the cartoon (3840 x 2160), just in case I need to zoom-in on an area.

But recently I began thinking, if UHD (3840 x 2160) will be the new HD standard in a few years, should I start working in UHD now?

What are your thought on UHD and animation?

Do you have any plans to make a cartoon in UHD, or have you already?
strider2000

Re: UHD (3840 x 2160)

Post by strider2000 »

I'd say if your assets are in vector, no need you can always change the project settings and re-render to UHD when desired. If you're using bitmap, then I'd say it all depends on where you want to display your work. For example, I post to youtube mainly, so I render to 1280x720 rather than HD. Also, remember you want to target when your done, not where you are now.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Thanks for the reply! I'm doing the backgrounds in bitmap using Photoshop. I tried vector, but it was taking me way too long.
strider2000 wrote:Also, remember you want to target when your done, not where you are now.
That's what I was thinking. I'm hoping to sell my cartoon to a streaming service in a few years, so I'm wondering if UHD will be a selling point at that time.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Not for streaming. Infrastructure can only be updated at a limited speed, chances are low that in 5 yrs from now UHD streaming will be feasible in relevant numbers.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

I am in no way an expert on current streaming trends, but I was of the impression that providers like Amazon and Netflix were moving fairly strongly toward 4K, especially in 5 years.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theat ... d-content/

Would you say that's just hype?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Yes. Amazon and Netflix may start UHD streaming, but will it arrive at their customers? I live in the center of Berlin, but can't get a faster connection than 50 Mbit, and no fiber. And I'm amongst the lucky ones. Broadcasters have the capacity, as well as consumers, but infrastructure is not at all up to par. The same is true for other parts of the world. Large areas of the USA can only dream of broadband access. In Europe, some contries are well equipped, but the majority not so. See here:
Image The blue lines is what counts: fiber to the customer.

When it says "minimum 25 Mbps" it means ideal conditions, namely, you're the only customer on the line. But network cable everywhere is used way over capacity - not the cable itself, but the repeaters and switches on the way. And don't let me start about Telekom's intentionally poor peering for youtube and other streaming services. Hint: there's a bunch of companies between you and your streaming service which will prohibit UHD streaming. In USA there's even some states having shitty legislative to prevent any progress, you can't even dig a cable trench yourself because that would hurt the profits of the local monopoly. And the local monopoly isn't interested in investing in hardware.

Of course it's not a bad idea to already work in UHD as the demand from broadcasters will be there - it will just not be the mass market they dream of.

But I don't think it makes much sense to produce Simpsons or Family Guy in UHD. Flat colours spread over four times the pixels are still flat colours, limited animation will still be limited. If you do UHD, you should consider producing for cinema: lots of detail and texture, broad range of colour and contrast, settings full of depth and atmosphere. And think of what else you might need: a different style of animation, much more motion blur, much more perfection in your lines (if yours is a clean style), and so on. And is the story really worth it?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Kazahkstan is in Europe? And Britain isn't? (This was pre-Brexit...). Just sayin'...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Knacki

Post by Knacki »

@slowtiger
I can hear you!
Germany has fastest Autobahn but very slow internet in average.
Don't want to talk about my situation, simply a mess.

UHD
I really would consider to go that way.
A few years ago, a producer said: "HD is looking always better, even on SD. "
Same here.
About backgrounds- have you tried Mischief?
It is probably something you have to get used to, and you won't achieve every style, but is also vector based.
Final output is pixel only.
Maybe worth a try?
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Hey slowtiger. Thanks for the great input.

Definitely a great point about the style of animation as well. As you say, 4x flat is still flat :) Yeah, why stream 4x the same color :o