Has SVG import improved?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Manu

Has SVG import improved?

Post by Manu »

As there's still no trial version of PRO12 available, I can't test out the new supposedly improved SVG import. Someone wrote a review on Amazon which suggests it's not working as one would hope:
The main reason I upgraded with for the supposedly new import ability so I don't need to redraw vector images made in Inkscape, mentioned specifically by name. but I honestly see zero improvement, the images come in deformed as usual and have to be re-done anyways.
Can any of you clarify this?
Greenlaw

Re: Has SVG import improved?

Post by Greenlaw »

funksmaname posted examples here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29579&p=167825&hili ... rt#p167825

Based on this and a few other examples posted by users, it seems reasonably accurate to me but I haven't had to use it myself yet.

BTW, the trial was announced last week on Twitter I think. Yeah, here's the thread about it:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29819&hilit=moho+12+trial

Apparently it's for Debut though...not sure when the Pro trial will be out.
Manu

Post by Manu »

I noticed there's a Debut trial out, yes. But SVG import is a PRO only feature.

The example you posted shows all sorts of problems in the corners of the imported SVG. The image is so small you can hardly see it, but it's definitely there. And unless you know what the point density of the imported vectors is, it's hard to judge how much of this alleged distortion there is.
vealti

Post by vealti »

I'm in the same boat. I'm planning a project that would require the ability to import vector art, which is only in the Pro version. Contacted support and they said they don't have a trial of the pro version, just Debut. Doesn't make sense to me...
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, I don't know. They may be holding off until the next update is finished.

Sorry, I don't have much to add on the SVG part. Where I work we mainly use artwork created in Photoshop combined with the native vector tools. FWIW, the native bezier tools behave similarly to Illustrator's. Many years ago (throughout the '90's actually,) I did all of my design work with Illustrator so I'm pretty comfortable with the current Moho tools. Curiously, I'm finding that there are certain shapes that are actually easier to draw with 'bezier mode' disabled (pill shapes immediately come to mind.) However, for many complex shapes, I do think bezier is the way to go. I'm glad Moho gives me the option to switch back and forth as needed.

It may be ironic that when I was creating my first Anime Studio film 'Scareplane' a few years ago, my initial plan was to create all the character art in Illustrator and import it to ASP. At the time, the AI importer didn't optimize very well though, so I wound up drawing everything natively instead. What surprised me was that drawing in ASP really wasn't bad once I got the hang of it, and I was able to draw everything pretty quickly. I still use AI for occasional design work but I no longer consider AI when I need to draw something for Moho--for me, when I need something in Moho, it's just easier to draw it in Moho. Beside, when I'm rigging, I know I'm going to fiddle with the art quite a lot in the process so there's not much point in using two programs to edit it.

But that's just me. I certainly don't want to dismiss SVG support and, of course, everyone will have their preferred methods for working with Moho.
negroclarito

Post by negroclarito »

I've been trying SVG files between Moho 12 and illustrator. When you open Moho SVG files in illustrator they are accurate and you can see all layers you made in Moho. When you start to edit vectors in Illustrator you can see that every shape is cut separately.
When you import illustrator SVG files in Moho you will have only one layer even if in illustrator you made them in different layers. The final result is accurate but you will have to separate the file in layers again.

I'd like the illustrator files imported into Moho could keep the same layes as in illustrator. Maybe there's a way but I was trying different settings but I couldn't
Manu

Post by Manu »

I have worked on projects with characters in excess of 2000 layers of artwork in Illustrator. Having to peel them apart isn't an option.

Another thing ASP/Moho did was scaling imported vector artwork to fit the canvas. I can see the point of it. But it results in misalignments between different imported files like characters and backgrounds. Is it possible these days to switch this auto scale on import feature off? Or set the scale on import manually in the preferences like a lot of 3D software does?
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

I have tested to import some SVG graphics with Moho Debut 12 (Testversion):
- Layers from Inkscape are ignored. All shapes are in one layer after import to Moho
- all sharp edges are gone in Moho. All edges are rounded now

Inkscape: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/134 ... port-1.png
Moho: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/134 ... port-2.png
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Lebostein wrote:I have tested to import some SVG graphics with Moho Debut 12 (Testversion):
- Layers from Inkscape are ignored. All shapes are in one layer after import to Moho
- all sharp edges are gone in Moho. All edges are rounded now

Inkscape: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/134 ... port-1.png
Moho: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/134 ... port-2.png
The points are still peaked, like in Inkscape, but Moho doesn't have mitered corners.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Manu wrote:I have worked on projects with characters in excess of 2000 layers of artwork in Illustrator. Having to peel them apart isn't an option.

Another thing ASP/Moho did was scaling imported vector artwork to fit the canvas. I can see the point of it. But it results in misalignments between different imported files like characters and backgrounds. Is it possible these days to switch this auto scale on import feature off? Or set the scale on import manually in the preferences like a lot of 3D software does?
You can try disabling "Layers/Objects>Auto-scale imported vectors" in the preferences.
Manu

Post by Manu »

synthsin75 wrote:
You can try disabling "Layers/Objects>Auto-scale imported vectors" in the preferences.
Good to know that option exists. I don't remember seeing it in 9.5, the last version I owned.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Manu wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:
Good to know that option exists. I don't remember seeing it in 9.5, the last version I owned.
v10 sounds about right for when it was added, but I can't remember for sure.
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

Why the layers of the SVG file are not imported? I get all shapes in one layer