Moho right for me?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: Moho right for me?

Post by Greenlaw »

Another possibility is Reallusion's iClone. This is 3D animation system that has a ton of 'canned' content and an automated animation system. And if you get the 3DXchange add-on, it allows you to import/export content from other sources (your own or third party.) (I'm not sure 3DXchange is necessary if you just want to import props.)

Depending on what you want from it, iClone can get a pricey though. I purchased the suite a while back mainly to use its mocap editing tools as an alternative to Motion Builder, and even with a 50% discount it still cost me $499. For my purpose, it was a bargain though since the latest Motion Builder can cost several thousands. I'm not planning to use the rest of iClone any time soon but have started thinking about how I might use it for a future project.

Anyway, it's worth a look. TBH, I can't say if the program is easy to use because I haven't taken the time to learn it yet, but iClone is meant to help users create 3D shorts, music videos, and film previs quickly in a realtime (or near-realtime) environment. The program has many features generally found in high-end 3D animation programs but with a simpler user interface than, say, Maya. And it's a pretty flexible system: some users will rely on a large library of third-party content and motion packs, but with 3DXchange you have the option to bring in content you design and create yourself. And of course, you don't have to use the canned animations--you can still keyframe your animations or bring in your own motion data.

Like all of these 'realtime' animation programs, the result does tend to look like video game animations. But if you don't mind that, it might be the way to go.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, iClone is a definite contender in this kind of market space. I bought the 3DXchange pipeline (mostly for game modding), but have yet to get around to seriously evaluating it.
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

Yeah I've tried Blender, but don't go there, it's a full 3D app with a steep learning curve, your initial post indicated you weren't looking for anything on that level.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Late to the party -- sorry - it's been a busy few days ...

Looking at the OP, if the goal is to get something useful as the "missing shots" , IMO it'd be quicker and give you a more seamless merge if you just go back and shoot the scenes you need (but maybe avoid the bit about actually hitting a foot with a big axe... :D ). Accepting that it may be tricky/costly to get an air ambulance into the actual shoot, there are places such as shutterstock that will sell the footage for less than the cost of hiring a helicopter and pilot. Or, ofc, use a (credible) model! The rest is just down to sensible use of greenscreening the actors and editing / compositing to make it all hang together...

but if you really want to animate it ....