Moho Debut 12 advertisement very misleading

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kristenanne77

Moho Debut 12 advertisement very misleading

Post by kristenanne77 »

I am new to animation and its not my main gig so I decided to try Debut 12 based on sone videos I have seen.
Very misleading. It started when I found a Udemy tutorial where the instructor was covering the pro version. So immediately I couldn't follow all the steps because I didn't have all the controls (I knew that) ... YET on the advertisement video of Moho Debut 12 it shows the controls which are only on the pro version. So here I am trying to follow a tutorial which shows by example clicking on certain icons, but I don't see them in my program ... BUT they are in the advertisement for DEBUT 12.
So I was very confused. I thought maybe some of the controls were hidden from view or something like that.
So anyway I contacted smith micro and they said that Debut 12 didn't support some functions ... so my question was why did they show the interface of the pro version in the video advertisement. Very misleading.

Of course later after learning a little bit, I looked in detail at their website and explicitly saw that some functions were not included in the Debut version which makes sense but the point remains that the real functions of the Debut version should have been present in their video, not the functions of the pro version. How is a newbie like myself supposed to knew. . They should at least offer me a free upgrade for catching their mistake. Or at the very least CORRECT THE VIDEO AND SHOW THE CORRECT INTERFACE for others who may want to purchase. They should also have beginner tutorials which only show the the debut interface. . For example I didn't have the orbit function and many of the options in the timeline. I hate to be nitpicky but I wasted hours trying to find them, thinking they were hidden. But they weren't. My time is valuable (at least to me). Very frustrating. Here is the video for the "Debut" version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTG86xeXAW8
negroclarito

Re: Moho Debut 12 advertisement very misleading

Post by negroclarito »

You are right. I was checking in the MOHO debut 12 and they have many videos that say MOHO debut and the video is about MOHO PRO.
http://my.smithmicro.com/anime-studio-debut.html

I think they should change that to people don't get confused as has happened with you.
Did they let you change to MOHO pro?
emartin

Post by emartin »

Thank you both for your feedback. Our apologies. We didn't intentionally try to mislead.

I passed both of your feedbacks up the chain and they are going to look at what they can do to make it clearer what is a Pro-only feature.
kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 »

I haven't heard back from them. I think they should give me an upgrade to pro. I know that these programs in general have a fair to steep learning curve and thats ok with me. What IS NOT OK is that, besides a misleading advertisement, there are no tutorial courses which specifically cover the Debut version. I mean, making a Debut tutorial series shouldn't be that hard to do for the experts.

Kristen
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Smith Micro has a few Debut specific videos that should get you started!

https://www.youtube.com/user/contentpar ... uery=debut

Also, many of the Pro tools work the same in Debut!
joegio13

Post by joegio13 »

I have the debut version, and yea it is a little light but I am loving it. I even started producing videos for Debut as I find that all the tutorials online and on youtube are for the Pro user base. Debut is still very powerful, it just requires a little more editing for certain shots.

I do wish that folders and grid lines were in the debut version. I can understand why smart bones and meshes are not included, but a folder system and gridlines should have been included. However, I just use bones as folders.