Unity 3D Export & FFD

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

atmuc

Unity 3D Export & FFD

Post by atmuc »

Does Unity export support FFD? I could not find a list about what is supported for Unity export.

FFD = Free Form Deformation (like Smart Warp)
jahnocli

Re: Unity 3D Export & FFD

Post by jahnocli »

Shouldn't you be asking this question in a Unity forum?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
atmuc

Post by atmuc »

jahnocli wrote:Shouldn't you be asking this question in a Unity forum?
Moho has an exporter for Unity. it exports it as an fbx files. I want to know if Moho exports that feature in this fbx file. My question is not if Unity can import this feature from that fbx file. So i am asking here :-) I hope it is clear now. i am not a native speaker.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I still use Anime Studio 11, but I have not heard that any FBX export features have changed. Maybe someone with Moho 12 can correct me if I'm wrong. I believe the relevant fact for FBX export is in the manual, p461: "Vector layers will be exported as though they are images."

If this is still the case, no point animation will be exported in an FBX file, so any deformation using points would not be exported.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I don't think FBX supports animated point displacement does it? At least it doesn't in the 3D animation programs that I use. Maybe a recent version of FBX does but, AFAIK, FBX has traditionally supported only bones/joints animation, and basic animated transformations for objects, cameras and lights, but not points-only animation for meshes.

For points-only animated displacement, we typically use PointCache, MDD or Alembic (depending on where it's going,) but unfortunately Moho 12 doesn't support any of those formats.

Just curious but what does Unity normally want as a file for points-only animation?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Sorry, I just realized you're asking about FFD, not FBX.

I'm not familiar with FFD but I know Moho can export an SVG sequence, so maybe there's a third party way to compile an SVG sequence into a point animation file like FFD? I don't know if that's really possible but I imagine it would be like compiling an .obj sequence from a 3D program to a single mesh deformation data file like MDD or Geocache. Sorry, I haven't got the technical chops to tell you how to do that but I think it's feasible.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

If you can export your animation from Moho to PNGs, then you're fine in Unity. Import or drag them into your scene. Select all PNGs and (in the Inspector window) set them all to "Sprite (2D and UI)". Filter = point. Then drag all PNGs into scene and name the animation. Unity treats all animation (PNG or FBX) the same way via Animation Controller.

Hope that helps.

fyi - I see no reason you can not export FFD frames as PNG, MOV, AVI etc. That would be kind of odd. But for Unity, you definitely need frames. Pls let me know if I'm delusional.
atmuc

Post by atmuc »

I don't want to use png sequences. i will use animations for multiple skins. so i need bone animation. i am not sure if the newest version of fbx can transfer vertex animations. Spine has it's custom runtime library for Unity. it exports it's own format and it's runtime lib can play FFD on unity. So spine has advantage on game market. i don't like it's license model so i am looking for alternatives. spriter pro can be a good alternative but it has no animation curve graphs. Moho has nice features and nice user interface. when they release a trial, i should try it.
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

atmuc wrote:I don't want to use png sequences.....
Understood. But to my understanding, all anims within Unity are treated the same by the Animation Controller. As far as using "animations for multiple skins" that sounds like it may be a Spine issue, not Unity. As it applies to this forum, Moho 12 now lets you apply/import actions to a skin (in the event you reconsider PNG sequence).

I would be interested in knowing how the Unity runtime works from Spine, tho.
so i need bone animation.
In this regard you'd have to adhere to the Mecanim bone hierarchy. http://s17.postimg.org/cdwss2da7/Mecani ... erence.jpg. Yet this only applies to a 3D rig. I'm not trying to piss in your cake, in fact I really wanna help you make this work. I just think that you might be trying to cross-pollinate too many Unity/2D/3D formatting options.

Pls update with your progress when you have a moment.

Again (as it applies to this forum), I'm hoping that Smith Micro will implement native JSON export to leverage the FLIPPIN AWESOMENESS that is now Moho 12!!
(feature request already submitted)

Thx & Good Luck (I'm on your side)

PM me if you'd like.

=]
atmuc

Post by atmuc »

Spine exports it's own data format. It's runtime library read and play animations. last year it was not fully compatible with unity animations system so sequencer assets could not work with Spine animations. Moho can export bones, sprites and animations by fbx to Unity. I think fbx cannot transfer vertex animations. it can save just blendshape shapes/morphs. it is not suitable for this purpose. So Smith Micro should write an Unity Runtime library that can read all features of Moho Project file. in that way game developers can use all new features of Moho.
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

atmuc wrote:Spine exports it's own data format.
The only data files Spine exports are Binary & JSON.

atmuc wrote:So Smith Micro should write an Unity Runtime library that can read all features of Moho Project file.
Exactly why I requested a native JSON exporter.
atmuc

Post by atmuc »

Gnaws wrote: The only data files Spine exports are Binary & JSON.
yes, i mean those. none of them standard. i do not mean JSON, i mean content of JSON.