Moho 12 running slow? Spinning beach ball

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Soymilkstudio

Moho 12 running slow? Spinning beach ball

Post by Soymilkstudio »

Hello,
I'm new to the forum but a long time user and advocate for Moho and AS, I just purchased Moho12 and while opening an existing working file of a simple cyclist rig I noticed the software really struggling (lots of spinning beachballs) when undoing, scrubbing timeline and general use. I had to revert to AS11 to keep working on the same file where it works fine with its usual AS smoothness, am wondering why this is happening and if I'm the only one?? Could it be the 64bit architecture or some performance setting I need to check? Would love some help or suggestions.

Running a pretty beefed up Imac 27' from Late2013..
16gb of Ram, Quad core, upgraded Graphic card..
onurdemirsoy

Re: Moho 12 running slow? Spinning beach ball

Post by onurdemirsoy »

It is much more slower than the previous version. I wish they will solve this issue with the next update.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Do you have auto-save enabled? If so, I'd guess you don't for AS11.

I don't see any slow down here.
onurdemirsoy

Post by onurdemirsoy »

synthsin75 wrote:Do you have auto-save enabled? If so, I'd guess you don't for AS11.

I don't see any slow down here.
I deleted Auto Save script which you sent me before and it looks ok for now. At least for me.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

onurdemirsoy wrote:I deleted Auto Save script which you sent me before and it looks ok for now. At least for me.
I was talking about the built-in feature. My script shouldn't cause the problem.
Soymilkstudio

Post by Soymilkstudio »

Auto-Save seems to have been the culprit ! Back to the usual speed :) Thanks for the tip !
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Problem with that is if you crash you lose - remember to save regularly!
emartin

Post by emartin »

Soymilkstudio wrote:Hello,
I'm new to the forum but a long time user and advocate for Moho and AS, I just purchased Moho12 and while opening an existing working file of a simple cyclist rig I noticed the software really struggling (lots of spinning beachballs) when undoing, scrubbing timeline and general use. I had to revert to AS11 to keep working on the same file where it works fine with its usual AS smoothness, am wondering why this is happening and if I'm the only one?? Could it be the 64bit architecture or some performance setting I need to check? Would love some help or suggestions.
Soymilkstudio, can you give us any indication what your document structure is like? Number of frames, Number of layers, layer types, number of layer comps, etc. We'd love to track it down.

If it would be possible to share the gathered document, that would be even better. Contact/email TS and mention this forum post (https://support.smithmicro.com).
Last edited by emartin on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
negroclarito

Post by negroclarito »

My MOHO 12 is also running very slow. Even with very simple scenes I have many issues moving frames in the timeline. It's too slow!!
I disabled the autosave but still is slow. I hope it can be solved fast or I will have to use the last version for more complicated scenes. :|
I use an iMac with i7 and 16Gb of RAM and AS11 runs very well.

I also had problems with the new bezier handles. Sometimes I need to press several times the button to bezier handles appear in my lines.
emartin

Post by emartin »

negroclarito wrote:My MOHO 12 is also running very slow. Even with very simple scenes I have many issues moving frames in the timeline. It's too slow!!
I disabled the autosave but still is slow. I hope it can be solved fast or I will have to use the last version for more complicated scenes. :|
I use an iMac with i7 and 16Gb of RAM and AS11 runs very well.

I also had problems with the new bezier handles. Sometimes I need to press several times the button to bezier handles appear in my lines.
Hi negroclarito,

Any more information you can provide? Document layer types? 12.0 functionality you are using? I would also suggest you log a support ticket (https://support.smithmicro.com) so that a performance bug can be entered. A sample document that performs well in AS11 and slow in 12 would help.

Thanks,
Erik
negroclarito

Post by negroclarito »

I used the new vectors and auto-freeze keys. I didn't use any Mesh. Even if I disable the auto-freeze keys it runs slow.
They are two characters with a bone layer and another bone layer inside. No textures inside or any switch layer. With a PNG background and the size only 720x720.
It only happens with one of the characters. The animation has 390 frames and it works well the first frames, but as soon as I move the animation dial in the timeline the frames become very slow to move. I turn off the software and turn on again and the first time I move the dial in the timeline is ok, but second time the frames became again very slow. So weird.
Maybe is something with Mac. Soymilkstudio also uses Mac

emartin

Post by emartin »

negroclarito wrote:I used the new vectors and auto-freeze keys. I didn't use any Mesh. Even if I disable the auto-freeze keys it runs slow.
They are two characters with a bone layer and another bone layer inside. No textures inside or any switch layer. With a PNG background and the size only 720x720.
It only happens with one of the characters. The animation has 390 frames and it works well the first frames, but as soon as I move the animation dial in the timeline the frames become very slow to move. I turn off the software and turn on again and the first time I move the dial in the timeline is ok, but second time the frames became again very slow. So weird.
Perfect. Thanks for details. We will try to reproduce here.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

negroclarito wrote:I used the new vectors and auto-freeze keys. I didn't use any Mesh. Even if I disable the auto-freeze keys it runs slow.
Maybe is something with Mac. Soymilkstudio also uses Mac

negroclarito, is this a character that you created, or one included with the software? Would it be possible for you to send me this file? I'd like to try the same file in both version 11 and 12 to compare them. I also use a Mac most of the time, but I'm not seeing a noticeable difference between 11 and 12. It may be something specific to this file and I'd really like to sort this out.

Also, to be clear: the slowdown you describe is when you move keyframes around on the timeline? If you are able to send the file, please also tell me exactly which keys of which layer you're moving. It may make a difference.

Thanks!
emartin

Post by emartin »

Just to give a short update, this week we have been taking this feedback and looking for ways to help make Moho perform better. In fact today a performance bug was just fixed that should help for 12.1. I can't say for certain that it is the main problem that you are seeing, negroclarito, but it is a step in that direction.

Just as a general aside, if any others are seeing performance issues, any detailed information that you can possibly give would be much appreciated. Unfortunately a general "it is slower" doesn't help since the application is so robust with features that have evolved over time. Sometimes a simple enabling/disabling of a check box makes all the difference performance wise.

We also know it is not easy to localize performance issues since .moho documents can get complex very quickly. That is why Smith Micro team members usually ask for the documents from users. We understand that getting your documents is a security/privacy thing and we always try to respect that. Sometimes there is just no other way.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to report issues to the forum and tech support!
negroclarito

Post by negroclarito »

I found another bug.
When I use the rotate layer XY tool on a bone layer (I didn't try in other kind of layers) to animate it in the timeline, and then if I want to move some vector points in the vector layers into that bone layer in the timeline is impossible. That vector points get crazy and never move where I want.
I don't know if I explain it clearly.