Is Anime' Studio really the program I need?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hauksbee01

Is Anime' Studio really the program I need?

Post by Hauksbee01 »

I bought a copy of AS 10 hoping to re-visit some of my earlier forays into hand-drawn animation. I have (in a portfolio) a series of drawings of "Rappin' Spray Cans". I had hoped to be able to import these 36 separate drawings, install them on the timeline and have them dance across the screen in front of a graffitti background. So far I've only imported four, and my problem is that all are visible at all times. My hope is that I can import a hand-drawn sequence ( e.g., an 8-step walk) save it as an action, then reduce it in size at Frame 01, enlarge it at Frame 100 and have the character walk from background to foreground. Is this possible, or, must all drawing be done in AS?

(I have a pic. of Frame 0, but can't see how to upload it here.)
synthsin75

Re: Is Anime' Studio really the program I need?

Post by synthsin75 »

Put all the images in a switch layer and use that to show one at a time. Then you can scale/translate the switch layer as needed.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

... and you can use "cycle" interpolation on the "last" switch keyframe in the sequence to make AS do the poses in sequence then loop back to the beginning ... and you can break that loop easily and start a new one and ...

really straightforward.

Once you've had a go, just ask again when you hit a block.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Go into scripts/images in the top bar, this will allow you to automatically import your images in a switch layer and it will deal with visibility automatically!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I second GCharb's suggestion. The script sets up a Switch Layer already keyframed and ready for playback automatically. (I use it to bring animatics into a scene for visual reference.)

After importing the sequence, you can transform the Switch Layer to your heart's content. The one thing to be aware of with the script is that it's very picky about naming convention: You cannot use numbers anywhere in the file name except for the frame number, otherwise the script will choke on the import. (There's more info about this in the scripts comments.)

G.
Hauksbee01

Post by Hauksbee01 »

Greenlaw wrote:I second GCharb's suggestion. The script sets up a Switch Layer already keyframed and ready for playback automatically. (I use it to bring animatics into a scene for visual reference.)
Thanks folks, for the come-back. I plunged into AS expecting it to work much like Director (which I used a lot in the late 90's). Also, my internet has been out for the last few days and I couldn't post a question, or get to a YouTube tutorial. Now, with your help, I'm back in the saddle.

How do I post a picture, or AS video?
jezjones29

Post by jezjones29 »

Image - Upload your image to a website like http://tinypic.com then include the link here.
Video - use YouTube or Vimeo.
Hauksbee01

Post by Hauksbee01 »

jezjones29 wrote:Image - Upload your image to a website like http://tinypic.com then include the link here.
This is a test.