Shape changes during drawing Anime Pro 11

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

doukkali

Shape changes during drawing Anime Pro 11

Post by doukkali »

Hi room, I have an issue with drawing tools, when I draw a line on a perfect circle shape, it loses its shape. Do you have any advice to draw this shape (the second one) without losing the perfectness of the circle?
Please have a look on the link below. :)
Thanks a lot !!
http://s18.postimg.org/kihijrxzd/shape_change.jpg
jahnocli

Re: Shape changes during drawing Anime Pro 11

Post by jahnocli »

There are a number of ways of approaching this. I think the simplest is as follows:

1. Draw a circle.
2. With the circle selected, go to Scripts | Draw | Split Curve -- a query box should pop up
3. Enter a number (e.g., 4) -- other points should appear on the circle.
4. Now, when you connect two points, you should have minimal distortion
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

The way ASP currently interprets shapes is a great strength or a weakness depending on how you look at it. The strength is that the current system usually allows ASP to deform shapes quickly, cleanly, more predictably and with fewer 'in-betweens' required during animation than if it was using traditional Bezier style curves like Illustrator has. The downside, as you've discovered, is that it may require creating extra points or curve adjustments to precisely create certain shapes.

This part of ASP used to frustrate me but I quickly got used to it. Now when I need a complex shape, I plot out the curve along the contour of a 'template' image. The template can be an imported image created in another program or a version of the shape quickly constructed using multiple shapes in lower layer and then 'tracing' over it as a single shape in a layer on top. Admittedly, this not the quickest way to work but if it's done correctly, the result can be more optimal for rigging and animation.

Another approach is to create a wireframe constructed of multiple connected paths and then just fill and stroke the parts of the shape you wish to be visible for rendering. Sometimes this can allow you to use simpler geometry with fewer adjustments to Curve settings to the the exact shape you want for rendering. (FYI, I find this technique is especially useful for hands with overlapping fingers. Doesn't work quite so well for shaded fills though because it can put separate gradients inside the individual pieces.)

Just a few thoughts that might help.

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doukkali

Post by doukkali »

Thanks all of you for your wonderful help. :mrgreen: The Idea of adding points through script is great. I found another solution myself by using the magnet tool to position the line end points over the circle edge.
jezjones29

Post by jezjones29 »

The trick is not to create new points on the circle, but to join your line to the circle's points. This way the circle won't lose its shape.

I've put together a quick tutorial for this: http://www.animestudiotutor.com/drawing ... o_circles/
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Nice tutorial! That's kinda what I meant to describe in my post but your pics do a better job. :)
doukkali

Post by doukkali »

Thanks for tuto I saw it 8) it will help people for sure.