Bug? Patch layers

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hellyar

Bug? Patch layers

Post by Hellyar »

Hello,
I am correctly applying a patch layer to overlapping segmented vector art.
One of the segments (i.e. layered art) keeps disappearing!
Is this a bug?
dueyftw

Re: Bug? Patch layers

Post by dueyftw »

Most likely not. There are many reasons why a layer seems to disappear.

Did you turn off layer visibility?

Did you move it off to the side so it seems to disappear by using bone offset or some other way so it is so far away from the work area it seems to be gone?

Did you turned down the alpha to zero?

There are some more that I can't think of at the moment. So look at the file, the patch layer is a quick mask. Only what is in the patch will disappear.

Dale
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hellyar wrote:Hello,
I am correctly applying a patch layer to overlapping segmented vector art.
One of the segments (i.e. layered art) keeps disappearing!
Is this a bug?
Can you share the file or a screenshot at least? We need more info to try to help you.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Hellyar

Post by Hellyar »

Thank you.

Here is it...
Hellyar

Post by Hellyar »

Oh, I used the TinyPic thing... it didn't upload.

I'll try again..

Hellyar

Post by Hellyar »

The patch was applied to Upper Right Arm.
It disappears when I then tweak the Lower Right Arm (i.e. overlap) and then use the Manipulate Bones Tool.

By the way, it's not there in Preview, either.
Hellyar

Post by Hellyar »

I've just screen recorded it...

View My Video
dopski

Post by dopski »

Exact same experience using the patch layer. Are there people who can enlighten us about that persistent error? If that is not a bug, then what is that?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Until someone can post file showing the problem, no one can guess why you're seeing the results you are.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

At the very least, post a screen cap of your layer structure. With the vague info provided, all we can do is guess blindly.

FWIW, I don't think I've ever seen a layer disappear because of a Patch layer. It's more likely to be something else, like a bad mask setting or undesired layer setting.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I just saw the video. That is pretty weird.

If you don't want to post the entire file for proprietary reasons, can you post the file with only the arm layers (containing generic pill shapes is fine) and the Patch layer? Be sure the error still occurs in the file after you've deleted the other layers.
minigendo

Post by minigendo »

My apologies for resurrecting an older post, but I'd encountered a similar issue and wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

After deploying patch layers, I've found that the patched layer can disappear. Also the hole bone structure seems to lock up when the bone layer is selected. My attempts to use the manipulate bones tool on the zero layer are ineffective. However, the bone issue resolves as soon as I delete the two patch layers. The visibility issue requires I delete the two patch layers and then reselect the bone layer.

I've attached, or attempted to attach, an example file. This isn't the original file I experienced the issue, but I was able to recreate it in a new file. That may imply that the problem can be reliably triggered by some combination of factors, or it could just be a coincidence.

My thanks in advance if anyone has suggestions as to what might be going on or how to fix it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/p4dka30pj ... litch.moho
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

That file seems to work fine. Can you give us specific steps to repeat to show the problem you're seeing?
minigendo

Post by minigendo »

With that file, when I open it opens in a broken state.

With the bone layer selected, if I choose the manipulate bone tool, bones are unresponsive. Individual bones will highlight to show they are selected, but they won't rotate.

The crotch layer is invisible in the main window, however by clicking through the layers, it will appear and disappear, sometimes appearing as a smaller white circle.

Using Control-R to render causes variable behavior. Usually I'll get the torso and leg layers. Sometimes I'll get the legs and crotch, or torso crotch and one leg, etc. There doesn't seem to be a reliable way to trigger one or the other.

Even after deleting the patch layers and get bone manipulation back, render still behaves oddly.

I'm using the latest update for 64-bit, if that makes a difference.

Edit: On a lark, I saved it as a version 9 file and opened it in 9.5. It works without issue in that version. That's not an apples to apples comparison, but it implies that the bug may lie in Moho's operation, rather than the file setup.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Sorry, none of that happens when I open that file here, in Moho 12.2.

GPU acceleration does seem broken though. Try disabling that.

EDIT: GPU problems seem to go away when I close or undock the Keyframe window.