Animated Web Series project

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GCharb

Animated Web Series project

Post by GCharb »

Question for You guys!!!

What would You guys think of an animated Web Series, 52 episodes of one minute, high quality, full HD animation a year, character animation would be done in Anime Studio, while everything else would be 3D turned 2D, most likely in Blender, and so far the theme We chosen is steampunk, based on a series of short stories I wrote several years ago!

Here's the catch, the first 10 episodes would be totally free, but the following episodes would cost something like 10 dollars a year, most likely on Vimeo Pro!

I am asking because this is a big deal, We're talking not only about producing one minute of high quality animation a week, but also one minute of voice overs, one minute of sound effects and one minute of music scores, not for the faint of heart!

So, I am asking what You guys think of this, is it something of interest to You, do You have any suggestions regarding such a project, do You have similar experiences You would like to share, etc.

In any case, thanks for your time!
Telemacus

Re: Animated Web Series project

Post by Telemacus »

Personally, I wouldn't pay for a series.
However, a course, I'd definitely think about it.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

You could try producing a couple of episodes for free, then open a Kickstarter project and see what kind of response you get. You need to think carefully about how you promote it and what incentives you can give away in places like Twitter and Facebook. Try Fiverr -- they have a whole Digital Marketing section. (Sorry -- can only show you the UK version of their site!)

Good luck; sounds like a lot of work...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Fonce Falooda

Post by Fonce Falooda »

It would have to be particularly funny for me to pay for it. And I assume it's comedy because drama in one minute increments seems like it would be even tougher.

That said, "Animals" just made the jump from YouTube to HBO, and the animation on that thing is... shall we say, not the main attraction. They got a bunch of improvisers to riff, they cut together the best bits into little shorts and "animated" it, and now they're on HBO.

There's also a bunch of stuff over on http://mondomedia.com/ that sounds like this sort of battle plan. "Gundarr" and "Baman Piderman" being especially notable. Maybe crank out a few episodes and see if you can fall in with them? They might have an ad revenue thing happening. Not sure.

It just feels a little like re-inventing the wheel, to start a solo operation that wants people to pay for it, when there's Mondo and Youtube. Seems like you'd get much more attention with an existing platorm. Good luck! :)

</two cents>
specialoh

Post by specialoh »

nope

lets b real we can watch (just example) simpsons for free
or pokemon lol

u know wat i mean, if u got a big following im sure u can do okay
in terms of general public no way it works
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I would pump up the quality and then pitch to Amazon, Lulu or Netflix. Have 4 to 5 done. Post only on YouTube teasers of 10 seconds or less. YouTube is not revenue but where you generate a following. Tell your friends and spam... err post every where you can. If you have 1m views on just the teasers you should be pick up.

Dale
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Thanks for the replies guys, and sorry for the late response, but due to lack of interest, We will produce a short animated film instead, less involved, and We believe that We will reach more peoples this way!
chucky

Post by chucky »

If it was really enjoyable sure... I hate the Simpsons.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I've always wondered why people seem to prefer creating series over creating a short. Concentrating all your effort on one film gives you the chance to get a really good result, whereas the same amount of resources can only create a less-than-average series. Just because characters created in AS can be used for countless episodes shouldn't be the main reason to do a series.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

GCharb wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, and sorry for the late response, but due to lack of interest, We will produce a short animated film instead, less involved, and We believe that We will reach more peoples this way!
Ah, My favorite animator joke:

"The two words that will get a fellow animator to stop talking to you. Feature length."

Dale