Tablet advice

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Pesto

Tablet advice

Post by Pesto »

I am thinking about getting a tablet. I have been checking out the Wacom Intuos line (Draw, Art, Photo, Comic). I noticed that with the Comic version a free copy of Anime Debut ships (not a big deal because I have ASPRO 11.2) and the tablet only comes in the small size (working area 6" X 3.7"). The Art version is the only one that comes in a medium size.
My question is for the tablet users, would a small tablet be sufficient enough for ASPro? I do plan to do some frame-by-frame stuff so that is why I am looking at tablets. Or should I go for the medium size?
One more thing is that the Draw does not have touch support, while the other 3 versions do. Is touch support supported in ASPro?

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions? All are very welcome and appreciated :)
Nolan Scott

Re: Tablet advice

Post by Nolan Scott »

Well, it all depends on personal style and requirements…

I am using the large Intuos-Version 487 x 318 mm - Active Area 325 x 203 mm.
Wouldn’t change it for any smaller size.
(Maybe the Cintiq 27QHD would be an alternative)

Visit a Wacom Store, or cut Templates of the Active Area to make sure you like the size.

Anime Studio Pro has Touch Support. Can be switched on/off in the Preferences.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I used a Bamboo while my Intuos was out, worked like a charm, there are cheaper solutions as well, like the Monoprice Tablets, which are bigger, and cheaper, heard good things about the Huion tablets as well!
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

GCharb wrote:I used a Bamboo while my Intuos was out, worked like a charm, there are cheaper solutions as well, like the Monoprice Tablets, which are bigger, and cheaper, heard good things about the Huion tablets as well!
Just bought a Monoprice I love it I also have a Bamboo both are good but you can't beat the Monoprice price!
I use a MacBook Pro, and Anime Studio Pro 11.2
http://uncle808s.blogspot.com
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I like the Intuos line myself...they're very durable and they last forever. My Intuos 2 is probably about 10 - 12 years old and it still works great. These days my nine year old daughter uses it, and she's had it since kindergarten. Yup, they're built tuff.

I've had a few cheaper models as well, Wacom and other brands. They work well enough but if you need to transport them a lot, the cables can break just sitting in a backpack. This didn't happen with the Intuos. I don't know about the newer entry-level Wacom tablets though--I know they've been redesigned in recent years so be sure to look at how the cable goes into the tablet. (Of course, if it's a Bluetooth tablet, nevermind.)

As for Wacom in general, I really like the Express Keys on the bezel. They can reduce how often you need to move your hand to the keyboard when drawing/painting in programs like Photoshop or Anime Studio. Some models have keys on both sides--I usually set the left side for common modifiers and the right side for special commands. Many competing tablets do not offer physical keys on the bezel so you may wish to consider that.

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pesto

Post by Pesto »

Thank you all for you advice!