What's he doing here?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

Re: What's he doing here?

Post by synthsin75 »

Stan wrote:Hey Victor, if you still have the video file, I can host it on mohoscripting.com.
This is probably the best solution, and a generous offer by Stan.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

synthsin75 wrote:
Stan wrote:Hey Victor, if you still have the video file, I can host it on mohoscripting.com.
This is probably the best solution, and a generous offer by Stan.
It's an interesting idea, but doesn't solve the YT copyright strike against Victor - if he gets 3 strikes than that's seriously bad news! And if AP does have a valid claim that might make resolution more difficult.
jezjones29

Post by jezjones29 »

Jeff Holland's At-At walker tutorial seems to have suffered too :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I3MZ_vadbA
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

While I sympathise with AP's predicament - he has invented something, is trying to monetise it, and then someone goes and riffs off his ideas and gives it away freely, destroying his chances of earning money - this is really a "problem" with the laws of copyright. You can legally take one person's hard work and inspiration and "reverse-engineer" it, and there's nothing they can do about it. On balance, for the good of society, it's better that you can't protect an idea, but for a creator/inventor, it sucks.

If he felt so strongly about it, he should have approached all the "infringers" directly and asked nicely. Even just to get a link to his original video/site.

But he chose not to do that. He is cynically exploiting YouTube's zero-investigation policy. And that loses him any sympathy from me.

Victor, put the video on Vimeo, post it everywhere, and link to it from AP's Youtube page. Link it here. Make it sticky. Let the whole world know your video exists. AP is a bully. Show him the power of the Streisand Effect.

And if he does it to anyone else, I'm sure one of us can find something infringing on AP's video, and he can see how it feels to be on the receiving end.

(ooh, I can see my house from the top of this soapbox! :) )
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hmm.

Personally, I don't think I could buy tutorials from somebody who is actively harassing other animators from also creating Moho tutorials. This is looking less like somebody defending a supposed copyright holding, and more like internet bullying. :(

And again, an idea or technique is not protected by copyright, so no infringement has occurred here. An idea can possibly be protected by a patent but that's a totally different thing, and it's unlikely to apply here.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

master2d wrote:For a bipedal character I sometimes use such a structure made of bones: https://yadi.sk/d/07l4Y_m7sDRqS

Anyone know why I can't seem to construct this from scratch?

https://sites.google.com/site/synthsin/ ... ects=0&d=1
I copied the working rig into this file to compare them, but I'm not see any difference. Can someone take a look and see if they can find what I'm missing?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's a weird one--I couldn't find any difference either. I only got it to work after I deleted and recreated both lower leg bones.

Maybe something got internally hosed with those two bones?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm curious but when you created the legs, were all the bones drawn from scratch or was one leg created first and then copied and pasted to make the second?

I sometimes see weird stuff when I copy and paste bones instead of drawing new ones.
troypicou

Post by troypicou »

If anyone is interested in my take on the rig, you can download my demo video on how to set it up here.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj5r72dv5 ... Assist.mp4
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:I'm curious but when you created the legs, were all the bones drawn from scratch or was one leg created first and then copied and pasted to make the second?

I sometimes see weird stuff when I copy and paste bones instead of drawing new ones.
Thanks, Dennis. Nope, they were created in order, from the body bone, and then I added the walk rig bones.

I just tried again, and drawing the bones from the final root bone (left side foot control > cross bone > body parent > body > thigh > shin, etc.) worked. Something about that rig doesn't like being reparented. Odd. It's like those shin bones don't know to account for the newly added parent bones when calculating the targets. Good to know.
troypicou wrote:If anyone is interested in my take on the rig, you can download my demo video on how to set it up here.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj5r72dv5 ... Assist.mp4
That's a very nice rig too, Troy.
troypicou

Post by troypicou »

Thanks
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Now that that's sorted, here's a quadruped rig.

https://sites.google.com/site/synthsin/ ... ects=0&d=1
troypicou

Post by troypicou »

Looks great, thanks for the share.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Victor, you posted a video a few years ago that used a smart bone to control the speed of a walk cycle but I can't find it. I want to say that you called it something like a "progressive walk cycle". Not to be confused with the "additive walk cycle" that came a couple of years later.

The basic concept was that you created a walk cycle in the action and then the Smart Bone was fully rotated several times, kind of like winding a watch. Does anybody remember the video or know where to find it? I think it was just a quick 4 or 5 minute video that was posted on the forum.

The reason I'm asking is... If you watch Alexander's video, @ 5:13 it looks like he may be using that method to control the walk. Maybe he should have to defend a copyright infringement himself.
Adam