Apple Pencil (+iPad Pro)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: Apple Pencil (+iPad Pro)

Post by Greenlaw »

chucky wrote:Clip Studio is free for ipad ( for now)
Is it? I thought it was subscription?

Funny, but that's why I stayed away from it. I admit I subscribe to a couple of Windows and web-based programs, but I'm drawing the line at iPad apps. :)
Hachpuh

Post by Hachpuh »

Hi,

Clip Studio Paint for iOS is not free. You get the first 6 months free but after you need to subscribe.

I found another nice 2d animation app for iPad: Animation Pro - it supports cut-out, stop motion...

http://www.hotjamdonut.com.au/Animation ... onPro.html
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hachpuh wrote:Hi,

Clip Studio Paint for iOS is not free. You get the first 6 months free but after you need to subscribe.

I found another nice 2d animation app for iPad: Animation Pro - it supports cut-out, stop motion...

http://www.hotjamdonut.com.au/Animation ... onPro.html
Yup that's what I meant when I said ' for now ' . I agree subscriptions are odious.
bestazy

Post by bestazy »

Lack of proper Photoshop and weak specs puts me off IPad, but I tend to to large illustrations.
I use a mix of Bamboo, Cintiq currently, really like the look of the Surface Pro.
Going from the Cintiq with a screen to the Bamboo is a PITA, really messes with my drawing style, having to zoom in and out etc. https://printsbery.com/planner-template ... with-to-do
Love the Cintiq but mines a tad old and the colours are a bit wank compared to my main screen
Last edited by bestazy on Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I actually prefer painting in Procreate over using Photoshop. It's more efficient, has better painting tools, and has a great recorder feature. But for heavy duty 'photo-shopping', you'll want an actual PC or Mac running Photoshop.

For me, having both has been ideal. If I just want to paint and draw, especially when I'm out of the house, iPad Pro and Procreate is up and running in seconds and Pencil works incredibly well with it. If resolution is a concern, Procreate let's you paint up to 16,384 x 16,384 pixels on iPad Pro. The output is compatible with Windows and can be used in programs like Moho. (Some of the elements in the HLF titles, for example, were painted in Procreate on an older iPad.)

If you want a real Cintiq experience, look into Cintiq Companion 2 or the Wacom Mobile Studio. I have the former and it's great! I use it more than I use my workstation these days for 2D and 3D animation, as well as 3D modeling for 3D printing. It's exactly like working on a Cintiq except for a smaller screen (13-inches) and it's completely mobile. When you get home, you can even plug it into your desktop and use it as a display tablet for the desktop. I don't think you can do that with the Surface.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Photoshop is overrated as a drawing app.
It is one of those default options(like Maccas or KFC) that studios put in all their machines to cover a lot of purposes.
Clip Studio is a much better option for actual drawing and far cheaper.
Paintstorm is a good inexpensive option too , but go with CLIP for advanced drawing tools (.ector and raster)
oh they both have iOs versions
Hachpuh

Post by Hachpuh »

Agree..no need for Photoshop, Affinity Photo is great on iPad, not only for photo editing but also for drawing and Clip Studio Paint works like a charm..i use Procreate too, but Clip Studio gives a smoother control with the pencils and the ink pens (g-pen) are awesome.
jezjones29

Post by jezjones29 »

Since my last post in this thread, I gave in and upgraded. Recently I've been using the 'Duet Display' app on my MacBook and iPad (12.9, in screen mirror mode). I can use the pencil to draw and move bones in Moho. It uses a USB cable so everything is super fast. The iPad screen is a bit small for Moho, and I need to keep one hand on the keyboard, but I like it when using brushes to draw and for frame by frame work. It's also handy as a second screen.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Since MY last post, I got Clip Studio Paint EX for my iPad. Just this week in fact.

I'm not quite sold on it yet but when you subscribe, you get 6 months free to try the app before the payment kicks in. Then before the sub runs out, you have the option to cancel the sub or switch to Pro (the cheaper 'limited' version) or continue with the EX subscription. I figure 6 months is plenty of time for me to decide if I'll actually use CSP on the iPad. If I use it a lot, I may be tempted to stick with the EX version, although realistically, most of my comics are single page strips so the Pro version is probably just fine for me and a whole lot cheaper too. ($25 for the year.) TBD.

So far I've only tested out a few my favorite features from the PC version, and surprisingly this iOS version appears to be a faithful port of the PC/Mac version. My big test for the weekend is to transfer my personal hand lettering font to iOS and see if I can get one of my existing comics into CSP EX for iOS.

I'll post again about my progress and what I ultimately think of the 'app' version.

Sooo...maybe I'm wrong about the possibility of a Moho for iOS? ATM, I'm thinking maybe it could happen.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I finally got around to drawing a 'Brudders' comic in Clip Studio Paint for iPad with Pencil. Here's the latest comic (episode 86 - 'Context'.):

If you'd like to also see the roughs, visit the website here: https://brudders.littlegreendog.com/bru ... 6-context/

Here's a short review comparing Clip Studio Paint on iPad vs Clip Studio Paint Windows:

Remarkably, drawing in CSP on iPad is nearly the same experience as using CSP on a Windows computer with a Wacom Tablet. The UI is more or less the same, including multi-touch capabilities. The program is very responsive, and you can easily exchange data between the iPad and Windows computer using the Clip Studio program to share files on the cloud. The pencil's responsiveness is at least as good as a Wacom Stylus.

Where the programs differ is mainly with the pen and tablet UI. Because the Wacom pen has multiple buttons and the Apple Pencil does not have any, Celsys had to add an extra 'Edge Keyboard' panel to the iPad app for the necessary on-screen modifier keys. To access the Edge Keyboard, just swipe from the left or right side of the screen. Here's a pic with the panel on the left side Edge Keyboard:

You can press and hold these buttons while you work in CSP as if they were physical keys. Of course, if you have a physical BT keyboard, you can just use the keys there too.

Panning, Zooming and Rotation are just like when you use CSP on a Windows computer or tablet that has multi-touch enabled. Some common commands also use finger gestures like the ones in found in Procreate. For example: two finger tap to undo, three finger tap to redo.

Unfortunately, in reproducing CSP to iPad so faithfully, some of the same long-standing flaws in CSP carried over too. For example, neither version supports auto-kerning for fonts that have a built-in kerning table, so you can expect to do a bit of manual kerning.

Font families are still a problem for the iPad version, but it's a different problem. On the Windows version, CSP only recognizes the base font and ignores the bold, italic and bold-italic versions of the font. Instead of using the proper fonts, CSP tries to generate it's own bold, italics, and bold-italics, and THEY LOOK AWFUL!!! To work around this problem, I've had to create custom 'non-family' versions of my styled fonts that CSP recognizes as unique fonts. A small hassle but it works. On iPad, the problem is slightly different. The program actually recognizes a family but instead of reading it as a single font with styles, it reads each style as a separate font. That's fine except, if I use any of the styles in iPad version and then transfer the files to the Windows version, the Windows version still doesn't see the family, so the fonts are ignored. Aargh! So my final solution was to use the same 'non-family' versions in both the Windows and iPad versions of CSP.

(BTW, getting fonts into the iPad is a bit of a pain. I highly recommend an app called AnyFont along with DropBox to move fonts from your desktop or laptop to the iPad.)

On annoying thing was that I can't transfer my custom tool settings from one version of CSP to the other. Apparently, the settings aren't compatible, so I had to rebuild my tools for the CSP version. Of course, once that's done, I'm good to go.

Another annoyance is when I save a PSD from the iPad, wherever the file is saved to, it's not accessible by anything but CSP. To make the file accessible, I need to save it as PSD first and then share the PSD with DropBox so I can access it from other apps and other computers from there. TBH, it is much easier to re-sync the original CSP file to the cloud share and open the file in the Windows version, and then save the PSD from there.

Apart from the font problem and the somewhat convoluted PSD export process, both of which can be overcome, I have little to complain about with the iPad version of CSP.

So, yeah...I love using Clip Studio Paint on the iPad and I can't wait to draw my next comic! The tools behave exactly like they do in the desktop version, and the performance of the app on an IPad Pro is smooth and responsive. I did have to tweak the pressure curve slightly but, honestly, that's no biggie. Once I got everything set up in CSP for iPad the way I wanted and I finished my first comic, CSP on the iPad became my favorite digital way to draw comics.

Oh, one important difference with the iPad version is that it's only available by subscription. So, is it worth it? If you like using CSP in the desktop version because of its unique tools and you want to use the same exact program on your iPad for it's mobility, then yeah, I totally think so.

But, If you have CSP on a desktop, and are considering getting an iPad, then...maybe? Probably yes if you also plan to use the iPad for other things besides CSP. When you start the subscription, the first six months are free, which is plenty of time to see if you really want to continue with the subscription.

And if you only have an iPad with Pencil, and don't own a desktop or laptop computer, then sure. It's definitely the best comics drawing app for iPad. I still think Procreate is a better painting app but CSP is a better app specifically for drawing comics.

CelSys offers multiple subsctiption plans for Clip Studio Paint Pro and EX versions, annual and monthly. (EX is the one you want to create long format multi-page comics. If you don't need that, then the Pro version is a lot cheaper and just fine.)

Subscription is a whole cheaper when you subscribe by the year: CSP Pro is $25 for the year ($2.08/month) and CSP EX is $72 a year ($5.99/month.) FYI, I got the yearly sub for EX but I might downgrade to Pro if I don't start working on a multi-page comic later this year.

If you subscribe monthly, the cost is quite a bit higher but you can start and stop the subscription without committing for more than a month. IMO, if you draw comics that infrequently you're probably better off staying with the desktop version since it has a perpetual license.

BTW, there's a 50% sale going on right now at CelSys till June 25th, Pro is $25 and EX is $109 for a perpetual license (Windows and Mac, not iPad). A fantastic deal, IMO! Buy it from here: https://www.clipstudio.net/en

Hope this info is helpul!
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, I forgot to mention CSP for iPad's FBF animation capabilities. I haven't tried animating in CSP for iPad yet but I imagine it's exactly the same as animating in CSP for the desktop. I'll try to give that a test when I have time and write a proper review for it later.
nikkol

Post by nikkol »

Hello!
I got an iPad Pro 11” and Apple Pencil 2 and using Astro Pad to ”mirror” moho to the iPad.
Works pretty well and I’m sure that when Apple’s SideCar (was it called that?) launches that will work even more fluidly.
I’m not a “real” artist or anything so can’t claim to be an expert. :D
rafael

Post by rafael »

I love my iPad Pro and Apple pencil! I don't really use it for animation but have done design work, illustration, asset creation, and storyboards on it. No, you can't run Flash or Moho or anything like that on it but you also can't beat the convenience and sheer enjoyment of working on an iPad IMO. I use ProCreate for anything drawing/painting and Assembly for anything vector (http://assemblyapp.co/).

I created all the assets for this video in Assembly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0dqLW_5RX4
And all the assets for this video in ProCreate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls9fS1SDzNg

Also Rough animator is pretty popular for FBF stuff on iPad at the moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emT8Uc7zt7g