Content folder

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

djwaterman

Content folder

Post by djwaterman »

This request that comes up when opening ASP about do I want to create a content folder? Is it something I can create on a per project basis? I've been avoiding creating a content folder so far because I don't want to be committed to one single location.

Is it something I can create on a per project basis?
GCharb

Re: Content folder

Post by GCharb »

No, this creates a folder where You can put your brushes, your models, props, scenes library, scripts, and so on, You can only assign it at startup or through the help menu.
Greenlaw

Re: Content folder

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, a user definable 'project directory' is a longstanding request of mine. Most other animation programs allow you to specify a directory for specific jobs or projects.

Having a real project directory would make projects more portable than it is now with ASP. Currently, ASP files are referenced using absolute paths, which can easily break your scenes when you move or synchronize a project to files at different location--like on a mobile computer that doesn't have access to your network drive, or to another artist working off-site. Sure you can re-link the missing files manually but this gets incredibly tedious with large projects that have many scenes, images and other assets.

My workaround for a mobile computer has been to create a virtual hard drive mapped with the same drive letter used for our network drive (R:). This tricks ASP into thinking the synchronized project files are in the same folder so the scenes don't break. But using a vhd this way that can introduce drive path problems for other programs you might be using for animation, like a network render controller.

G.