Need new video card, any suggestions?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

Re: Need new video card, any suggestions?

Post by synthsin75 »

I'm pretty sure AS now uses GPU for drawing and rendering.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

synthsin75 wrote:I'm pretty sure AS now uses GPU for drawing and rendering.
I think Mike said in one of his webinars that only bitmaps are accelerated with GPU, although I might be mistaken.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

GCharb wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:I'm pretty sure AS now uses GPU for drawing and rendering.
I think Mike said in one of his webinars that only bitmaps are accelerated with GPU, although I might be mistaken.
Yes, but that was when they first implemented the GPU acceleration, on version 10, if I remember well.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Yes, but i Haven't read anything-else since then, maybe Mike or someone from the team could add to this conversation?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

from the (ASP11) manual:

(main window display quality) (p179)
"GPU Acceleration: Check this option to enable GPU acceleration; uncheck to disable it. GPU Acceleration improves the display of image and vector layers. An OpenGL-compatible graphics card is required."

(preferences / general) (p402)
"Enable export/import hardware acceleration: (Windows Only). If a media codec (such as H.264) supports hardware acceleration you can speed up the exporting process by turning GPU acceleration on if your hardware supports it. Turn this option off if your card does not support hardware acceleration."

So it looks as though it's both display and render if you're on Windows, but display only on Macs.
braj

Post by braj »

And I guess it isn't helpful if you are rendering to png.
chucky

Post by chucky »

BRaj I would certainly go higher than gt 740, that's no way good enough if you start getting complex/ use brushes or multiple layers.
I have aa gtx760 but I would much prefer a GTX 970 Ti or higher, for better and faster display.

The 760 will start letting background layers pixelate and degenerate as more layers build.... really go as high as you can possibly afford as always with animation software... and go Nvidia not ATI

You can also modify how the card displays ASP by overriding antialising and improving a lot of display options in the nvidia control panel. It's pretty cool.
braj

Post by braj »

Yeah Chucky I don't have a budget that can accommodate a 960. It just ain't gonna happen.
chucky

Post by chucky »

braj wrote:Yeah Chucky I don't have a budget that can accommodate a 960. It just ain't gonna happen.
Hi Braj , yeah it's me who needs the 970+ but do try to get better than 740, if you are serious , that won't really cut it, since you are asking. :)
braj

Post by braj »

Well, I just ordered a GTX 750 2GB over the GT 740 4GB. It was $5 more. I just couldn't justify anything higher, but that $5 got me into GTX territory, what that means exactly I dunno. But from what I read, the extra 2GB video memory on the 740 wouldn't be of much real use, many call it a marketing ploy, so I went for more advanced architecture with more gigaflops vs. more vram. I dunno if that was the best decision, but it is the one I made. No 970 for me I'm afraid, but I'll make do. How it affects ASP I will know soon I guess. I am actually looking forward to it helping Sony Movie Studio more.
braj

Post by braj »

If only buying new hardware helped my story writing and voice acting.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

If only buying new hardware helped my story writing and voice acting.
Amen to that!

In fact this is quite insightfull, and I bet every artist steps into this trap at least once in their life. I know I did: "Just a decent instrument, and I could do that wonderful music ... just that program, and I could do wonderful films ..."
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
theoscartoons

Post by theoscartoons »

In terms of GPU (graphics cards) can someone tell me of the items listed below what is the most important when working with Moho? What would be the minimum requirements you give to these items?

CUDA Cores
Base Clock (MHz)
Boost Clock (MHz)
Memory Speed
Standard Memory Config
Memory Interface (128 bit vs 256 bit)
Memory Interface Width
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)

Thanks much
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I purchased the Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti to hold me over until GPU prices fall to normal levels. Right now graphic card prices are inflated and in short supply due to the mining craze. Keeping my eye on that AMD Vega card to see what the future holds.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group