WEBINAR: An Overview of frame-by-frame animation in ASP 11

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Michi

WEBINAR: An Overview of frame-by-frame animation in ASP 11

Post by Michi »

We've got another webinar coming your way!

An Overview of frame-by-frame animation in Anime Studio Pro 11

Presented by Charles "Chucky" Kenway

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 @ 3:00PM PDT

Learn more about the exciting new frame by frame capabilities in Anime Studio Pro 11 from professional animator Charles Kenway. Charles will show you how he created the new Stick Fight animation produced entirely in Anime Studio, taking you from his animatic to the final render. He will show you how he used the Freehand tools and new brushes in Anime Studio to create the dramatic look of his scenes to achieve more natural looking results. The webinar will conclude with a Q&A session where your questions will be answered.

To register for this free online event, go to: http://my.smithmicro.com/anime-studio-webinars.html

We hope to see you there!
Michi Catanese
Product Marketing Manager, Smith Micro Software
mcatanese@smithmicro.com
mattchee

Re: WEBINAR: An Overview of frame-by-frame animation in ASP

Post by mattchee »

Registered!

Just saw that video today and had all kinds of questions about it, so I know this webinar is going to be gooooooood.

See y'all there!
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

Stick fight animation? Where?
Michi

Post by Michi »

Chucky's animation can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-FaqyvywxY
Michi Catanese
Product Marketing Manager, Smith Micro Software
mcatanese@smithmicro.com
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Excellent webinar, many thanks to the team, and especially to Chucky!
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

when does the video get released?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

sargumphigaus wrote:when does the video get released?
Usually within a day or two!
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Chuck, well done and thanks mate.
I think there was about 4 one hour webinars worth of stuff squeezed into 45 mins there, and you could easily have run another 1 hour webinar just taking questions. That's actually something I'd love to see, a series of 6 training episodes from Chucky! Easy for me to say however and a lot of time and effort to put together.

A couple of things really struck me in the webinar. One is the parallax set-up which you touched on briefly. That's fascinating, I don't really understand how that works, and it adds a great look in terms of production value. Anyway I really dig that stuff in your work and it would be great to get some insight into how to do that. The brushes stuff is intruging and I want to learn more about that also. It was great that you were working up the examples from scratch, but the time was chewed up pretty quickly explaining and creating the scenes in real time. If you have the examples to post at all, for further questions or discussion, that would be awesome. I know you're a busy dude. I need to look at the watermelon video...

I found some of your answers to the questions really inspiring. I find with this stuff the systemising part of my brain engages, takes over and I lose a lot of time exploring methods that aren't necessarily getting me what I need done. You talk about animation in a way that encourages experimentation, separate from the detail of technique. That's great and it strikes me that more discussion on this level would be very valuable to newbies and animation grognards alike. What I'm getting at is that your response to the question about lip sync was a broader bigger-picture response, not bogged down in the minutiae of the technical stuff. Very good and you don't hear that a lot.

Your accent is horrible but fortunately I have the same problem. We sound like we learned English from angry crows. I do not think there is much we can do about that unless we get you a voice coach. In the mean time, blame audio compression on the webinar software.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Madrobot, I now have a totally new respect for Anime Studio's drawing tools, and Chucky's work, and if You think you have an horrible accent, you should listen to one of my video tutorials! 8)
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hi peeps and sorry about the accent, I was thinking of trying a variety of different ones and switching between them.
A good accent can hide a plethora of hiccups and gremlins, I know Victor has perfected his webinar accent which actually sounds really cool.
Who knew his normal voice is actually very BBC.
Personally I can't even speak English and read the whole thing phonetically from a blackboard. :wink:

Also apologies for the 'fart' :oops: kudos to anyone who can post the time-code for that one. :lol:

Yes I had a lot to cover and there was a couple of stuff ups.
In particular the fact that I had unwittingly set default interpolation to Step instead of smooth.... weird huh?
That was probably causing all sorts of issues like the tweening, I guess more practice at these presentations allow a more calm and methodical head space.

Yes I didn't get to the parallax and z depth in layers.... that is covered in the manual for anyone who needs it desperately.
The issue with masking was confusing too, have a look at the exploding watermelon tute for a clearer breakdown.
You can also pick up the FBF with reference template there, be sure to use the blue pencil for timing....
Actually I'm thinking maybe a blank master layer for timing might be even better...hmmmm.
Many other questions on the webinar might be covered there.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27514
Last edited by chucky on Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Arghh...I missed it!
Cheers, Larry
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Webinar is available online!
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

chucky

Post by chucky »

I must let you guys in on the fact that I was in the process of falling quite ill there. It started the night before, I managed to get through it but since then, I have been flat out in bed, dead to the world and feeling pretty 'crook'. I think it's a virus or something.
Anyway I'm staggering around now and had a look a some of the webinar, you can definitely hear it in my voice and I think it's obvious that I'm a bit foggy, I was making some pretty basic bumbles ( like having step interpolation on) that I can't imagine would be very common for anyone.
So apologies for that. A clear head would have been better ... I promise I wasn't drunk or possessed. :mrgreen:
I also noticed that the audio was very quiet and the camera footage of the cintiq and shortcut mobile utility didn't show up, so that was a waste of valuable time.

To be honest, I think the interactive nature of the webinar isn't actually happening in that video.
I should have taken questions right from the start or let the webinar be longer . animation is not a quick process anyway so explaining stuff can be even slower.
If it is a one way street then maybe just a video tutorial is better, you can edit it to be quicker, take out the boring bits or broken bits and be sure you are getting everything right.
In this case I didn't do anyone any favours by showing things that look like they don't work , when in fact they do work well.
Anyway, it was fun and welcome any questions ..
Thanks for sticking through it.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Lies lies lies, peoples never get sick, and if they do, it never interfere with their life or their work! :wink:

Get better Charles, and thanks again for the webinar! 8)