Lighting Color point template from the webinar?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Undiscovered

Lighting Color point template from the webinar?

Post by Undiscovered »

I thought one of the coolest parts from the webinar was the new Color point Lighting tutorial.
How was this done?

It looks like masking and blending layer effects where you can shine a light on your character and make it look like he's part of the scene at night and the light can be animated and placed anywhere in the scene.

Can we please get this webinar Color point lighting template please?
I would like to reverse engineer it.

Thank you, :mrgreen:
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Lighting Color point template from the webinar?

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I don't have the file and maybe don't remember exactly how it was made, but I created my own version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/544 ... olor.anime
The trick is to create a rectangle with no fill and no stroke. Inside it, draw a two points line. Then with the Create shape tool select all the six points (rectangle+line) and create a shape. Now the six points will be part of the same shape. Now just select the two internal points and change its color with the Points color tool. Be sure to set a low alpha value for the points (70, for example), to get transparency.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
jayfaker

Post by jayfaker »

Cool, that makes the tool much more useful to me. Color points along the edges of a shape can only do so much. If you can assign colors INSIDE a shape with a point grid, now that could really be useful.
mattchee

Post by mattchee »

Yes! This part of the webinar made my jaw drop, too!

Just tried this out, and.. yep... it's pretty cool. I would have NEVER thought to use color points this way, so I'm pretty stoked.
Undiscovered

Post by Undiscovered »

Thank you so much Victor, you are the man.
I was also hoping that we can get that exact file of the lighting color point from the webinar? :mrgreen:
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

Im still brand new to AS, started with 10 a month ago and liked the idea of FBF I got 11. My favorite feature (seeing im still learning bones anyway) was the color point feature. I use CorelDraw and got use to their mesh fill tool it's like a graph as many points as you want and then you can move them around. I too tried re creating the spot light and no luck searched my way here.

The one part that was missing is the object under the spot - it can be on the same layer. use the down arrow to bring it behind the spot. much better example below ( I did say I was brand new :oops: )
Last edited by SuperSGL on Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

make the spots part of the same fill as the object they are effecting (in this case, the black fill), they don't have to be touching or connected - fill objects in AS are independent of the shapes they are filling, which is one of AS' USP's
Michi

Post by Michi »

After the webinar I asked Mike to make a quick tutorial showing how he created the lighting effect using the Point Colors, you can find it in the webinar recording thread or here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNBmHg7rbpQ

~Michi
Michi Catanese
Product Marketing Manager, Smith Micro Software
mcatanese@smithmicro.com