Anime Studio 10.1.3 Update Available

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Michi

Anime Studio 10.1.3 Update Available

Post by Michi »

Keep your copies of Anime Studio Debut & Pro 10 current. Install the free 10.1.3 Update now.

For more info go to: http://my.smithmicro.com/anime-pro-updates.html
Michi Catanese
Product Marketing Manager, Smith Micro Software
mcatanese@smithmicro.com
dkwroot

Re: Anime Studio 10.1.3 Update Available

Post by dkwroot »

The readme file that comes with the update gives no information about the update. I'm not going to install this thing until I know what it does...
/reaches for tin-foil hat
RichardU

Post by RichardU »

Hmmm. Help / Check for Updates ... says:

You're up to date!
Anime Studio Pro 10,1,1,13559 is currently the newest version available.

Okay. So I go to the website and download the update. Even though this is version 10.1.3 the Readme.txt shows the latest info for 10.1.1.

Doesn't anyone do any QC anymore?
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

Well, all the bugs I've reported in the past are still present and I can't find any new features to speak of.
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

same here on Mac, no noticeable difference.

Anyone care to explain?
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

I sent a PM about this issue. Hopefully we'll get a reply soon.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just installed 10.1.3 here. I was hoping it fixed the big performance hit on Dynamics but it's still very slow and chunky when multiple characters have dynamics, especially with bitmaps. That's compared to 9.5, which has no problem handing the same scene setup.

G.
KuzKuz

Post by KuzKuz »

That all? Half year waiting for "hotfix"? How about big release?
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

Can anyone post the readme.txt with the changes/bugfixes/improvements?
RichardU

Post by RichardU »

Lebostein wrote:Can anyone post the readme.txt with the changes/bugfixes/improvements?
There isn't one (yet).
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

KuzKuz wrote:That all? Half year waiting for "hotfix"? How about big release?
That sounds like a dead software.... or: What are we to make of this?

Presumably, a development no longer worthwhile? There are many free alternatives like Godot or Unity to make bone animations:
https://github.com/okamstudio/godot/wik ... -Animation
http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tut ... -cms-21364
jayfaker

Post by jayfaker »

Lebostein wrote:
KuzKuz wrote:That all? Half year waiting for "hotfix"? How about big release?
That sounds like a dead software.... or: What are we to make of this?
Do you really think this is a possibility?

I guess it seems there has been very little interaction from the team as of late, but I don't know how to judge since I just recently was able to dedicate myself to learning ASP enough for professional use. I had assumed that since Selgin was asking about his characters that a new version was making its way through the pipeline. Maybe this CelAction Studio has been stealing ASP's thunder on the studio level, though it seems Smith Micro has never really put that much effort into really marketing ASP, to studios or individual professionals. Mostly just hobbyists.

I guess if they don't continue to develop it, the three options would be to kill it completely, sell it to someone who does want to develop it (hopefully not use it for spare parts), or open source it. I hope it continues on. I'm not sure exactly why I've been putting my eggs into this basket with my future ambitions, but I have. I probably need to start learning Flash and/or Toon Boom or some 2D via 3D app so I won't be screwed if something bad happens.

Either way, I'd ask someone from the ASP team to please show up and say something. Don't just pop in, drop off an ambiguous version update with no documentation and no recognizable changes, and leave again. Is Fahim still there? Is Mike? Can you guys at least make it known that you are alive and kicking? If you are, but you choose to remain silent, that is sadly unprofessional. If you choose to not communicate, it means I should probably check out of ASP before I invest too much time and energy into an app that will only let me down. :(
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Wow, how did we go from an outdated build log in a recent software update (just last week in fact) to "dead software"?

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Many of us here have direct contact with SM team. I don't have much information about this specific update, but don't worry, the software is still alive.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
jayfaker

Post by jayfaker »

Greenlaw wrote:Wow, how did we go from an outdated build log in a recent software update (just last week in fact) to 'dead software'?

G.
I think we were referring to a software update being tossed over the wall, with no fixes to the outdated build log for a week. Even when people keep asking and PMing for a fix. That seems like something you would fix asap. Aren't the project managers interested in promoting their own darn software?

selgin wrote:Many of us here have direct contact with SM team. I don't have much information about this specific update, but don't worry, the software is still alive.
Thank you for responding. I'm glad some of you have direct contact with the SM team, but I think the rest of us would just like to feel a pulse on occasion. Maybe just having someone from team drop by and say 'Hi, we're still alive." on occasion. Especially on the official website. Maybe I'm just spoiled. At the (very unofficial) After Effects forum I frequent, there is at least one team member who shows up relatively regularly. I think it happens more regularly than that on the official forum. I didn't want to sound panicky necessarily, but I did want someone to answer.

Anyway... Sorry for the overreaction. I just have a lot of ambition and not a lot of time or money, so I'd like to make sure I'm spending that time and money in the right place. When I engage in learning a new craft or software, I like to invest myself fully into it. So I may get a little over passionate at times. Anyway, I'm calming down now. Ahem. Carry on.
Last edited by jayfaker on Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.