Using patch layers

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

medic5678

Using patch layers

Post by medic5678 »

I was a little surprised to find that my patch layer (made about the size of a knee) didn't move with my character's movement. Turns out that I can make it work by making
it large enough to encompass the character's full range of motion.

So why not make every patch layer huge? does this eat computer resources? Not quite sure I understand all the parameters here. Thanks.
Danimal

Re: Using patch layers

Post by Danimal »

You can keep the patch layer the same size as the knee, just bind it to the leg bone so it follows along. Making it huge would also work, but might get confusing.
~Danimal
medic5678

Post by medic5678 »

The issue is that I'm using point binding with smart bones. Supposedly this doesn't work if you bind layers. Are there any difficulties for using patch layers with smart bones?

Thanks for your help here.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

medic5678, You can use point binding on the patch in addition to points on other vector layers. Just bind all patch points.
Cheers, Larry
medic5678

Post by medic5678 »

3deeguy wrote:medic5678, You can use point binding on the patch in addition to points on other vector layers. Just bind all patch points.
Larry, when I am on a patch layer, only layer binding appears to be available. how do you get at the patch layer points to bind them? that's an interesting technique.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

I was forced to see what a Patch-Layer was. I've used patches in shoulders elbows and knees but always as vector shapes.
I see that some options for the patch-layer are unavailable. In my opinion, a vector patch would be a better choice.
The web-link below my avatar will take you to a character where I used patches in the shoulders and elbows. It was done with ASP7. I always used the Grid to align the shapes. (If you're willing to give vector patches a try I can supply a link to a tutorial.)
Cheers, Larry