cartoon interaction possibility?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Bobby King

cartoon interaction possibility?

Post by Bobby King »

Hi I am extremely new to this and I found out about AS because of a need to develop short cartoons. What attracted me to AS is from what I read the bone rigging and how much easier it is to animate then via the frame by frame ala traditional animation. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to add user interactivity to it? For example a site that allows user to enter name and jpeg file. Then the file is inputted as part of the animation. I'd like to have the user either download the file (mp4) for viewing on their pc. I think this would require some scripting programming effort as far as inputing data goes. But can this be done in conjunction with AS? Thank You.
slowtiger

Re: cartoon interaction possibility?

Post by slowtiger »

Nope, AS doesn't have any programming abilities. It creates just plain video files, or SWF files. For creating interactive content you'll need to use Flash or HTML 5.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

..or perhaps lua task could provide a desired effect
just a thought, almost a wild-guess
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Bobby King wrote: For example a site that allows user to enter name and jpeg file. Then the file is inputted as part of the animation. I'd like to have the user either download the file (mp4) for viewing on their pc.
that sounds to me a lot more like incuding user-defined elements than interaction with an animation -- a bit like a personalised greetings card?

so is your question (how) can you (to put in very simple terms) automate the replacement of a template image layer with a user-chosen image; and the replacement of placeholder text with user-defined text; and then the generation of the .mp4?
Bobby King

Post by Bobby King »

Hi Hayasidist yes that's what I was looking for. Now I assume the consensus is that AS does not provide that as it's purely an anime program. Now can I animate in AS then convert or export to flash or html5 use then apply some form of scripting to it?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Of course you can create animated content in AS and export it to whatever you want: video files, or images, or SWF. A game engine, or Flash, or some HTML5 framework will add the interactivity then. But beware: this is not really beginner's stuff, although you'll find lots of examples and tutorials in the net.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Bobby King wrote:Hi Hayasidist yes that's what I was looking for. Now I assume the consensus is that AS does not provide that as it's purely an anime program. Now can I animate in AS then convert or export to flash or html5 use then apply some form of scripting to it?
If your animation needs are...modest, try Motion Artist (also by Smith Micro. Far be it from me to turn you away from Anime Studio, but if you are interested in motion comics or suchlike, Motion Artist can export in HTML5 format, and the full version is inexpensive compared with ASPro. I have to say that its 'interactivity' is very limited, but maybe that's all you need?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
richinri

Post by richinri »

I would second that look at MotionArtist so long as people realize it's limitations.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Bobby King wrote:Hi Hayasidist yes that's what I was looking for. ...
well, there's some "automation" you can do very easily... if (e.g.) you have a file called Z.anme and one of the layers is an image layer that references a file called Z.png, then the contents of Z.png are loaded when AS starts. So have a placeholder image file, and rename the user-defined file to be Z.png and invoke AS to open Z.anme and it will load the user image. Now the challenge is to standardise the size and layout of Z.png so that whatever (if any) animation you've done on it works adequately in all cases... do much the same for text (which I *think* you'll need to treat as an image rather than as any other format) ... and then export (batch exporter via command line??) (and convert????) to mp4.

Over to you to experiment. let me know how you get on!?
Bobby King

Post by Bobby King »

Thanks Hayasidist and everyone for your help. I will surely post back to let you all know how it goes.