Anime Studio Pro 9 versus Anime Studio 10 Debut

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

octavianbanu

Anime Studio Pro 9 versus Anime Studio 10 Debut

Post by octavianbanu »

Hello!
I am new to this forum, also, I am new to animation.

I am having difficulty choosing between Anime Studio Pro 9 and Anime Studio 10 Debut. I will use mainly characters animation( so the bone rigging feature is the one that I am looking for) and also any morphing feature. I just need it to do some interesting animations to be used in my iOS games. I can learn pretty fast(in fact I've downloaded already the trial for Debut and learned the debut starting tutorials, and I already like Anime - pretty simple and effective).
I have read a lot of articles but I don't know which will be the best for my animations(I initially wanted to buy the Pro 10 but it is over my budget, for now). I've seen many do recommend an older Pro versus the Debut 10 but I don't know if on the bone rigging part is as good as I need.

Thanks in advance for your advices!
Droxon

Re: Anime Studio Pro 9 versus Anime Studio 10 Debut

Post by Droxon »

Well, first i wasn't so sure about version 10 because they changed some of the tools, and this changed the way i was used to work.
But once i started using it, there was no going back.
Especially on the rigging side, they improved the inverse kinematics a lot.
Squash and stretch is also a nice feature, rendering improvements, smartbones dials, tabs, etc.

The latest update 10.1 comes with a huge feature that allows you to copy keyframes between similar characters, so you can transfer animation for example a walk cycle.

Version 10 also comes with new drawing tools, but to be honest these tools need improvement,(not production ready) but is a nice start.

Yes, version 10 has many advantages over version 9, (not saying that version 9 is bad)
but version 10 is definitely worth it and it keeps getting better and better with every version. (is also cheaper to upgrade to newer versions if you have the current version)
octavianbanu

Post by octavianbanu »

Thanks for the information, Droxon.
I want to know if the features that you are referring to are for the Debut or only in the Pro version?
Because I too have seen a lot of new features that I would like to have but they are available only in the Pro version so I would rather choose an older Pro(if that is the case).
Thanks!
Droxon

Post by Droxon »

I'm not sure, but i'm guessing these features are for the Pro version only.

You can find all the differences here:
http://anime.smithmicro.com/comparison.html
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Stay with pro version. If it was a choice between pro 7 and debut 10. Seven would win. Any version of pro has access to user scripts, debut doesn't.

With each new version the older one become cheaper, err, more affordable. Buy when you can.

Dale
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

dueyftw wrote:Stay with pro version. If it was a choice between pro 7 and debut 10. Seven would win. Any version of pro has access to user scripts, debut doesn't.

With each new version the older one become cheaper, err, more affordable. Buy when you can.

Dale
I have to agree with Dale on this.

In the long run Pro will always be the way to go. I personally do not know why there is even a Debut version. New users should test drive the Pro version for free and not even mess with Debut because they will not know what they are missing.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
octavianbanu

Post by octavianbanu »

Thanks for the advices!
(I was thinking of buying the older Pro too but I wanted an opinion from someone who knows them :) ).

A good day to you!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I would try to get, at least, Pro 9. This software is extremely different after the inclusion of Smart Bones.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel