Disappearing bone

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

willf

Disappearing bone

Post by willf »

So, what happens is that I select a bone with the bone selection tool, and if I try to rotate it then the bone suddenly disappears. The layer doesn't disappear, but the bone itself is invisible. It just disappears, as if it had been deleted. And I get an error message in the little field that shows the degree of rotation, at the top of the screen. It says "nan" which I'm pretty sure means "not a number". Fortunately ctrl-z still works, but I'm kind of stuck.

The first time this happened I was able to input a numerical value into the field, and so continue on moving the bones in that way. Then later it happened again and I was unable to do even that. A reboot brought it back to the earlier state. but this is still slowing me down, not being able to use the rotate bone tool.

This problem only appears with this one rig, and no others, but it comes along with the rig if I try to import it into a new file.

So, is this user error that can be corrected? Or do I have a corrupted file here, and I should chuck it and rebuild?
willf

Re: Disappearing bone

Post by willf »

update:

I am beginning to think there is a corruption in the file, since now I can't do other things like rotate layers - again, I can input a number in the field with the keyboard, but I can't rotate bones or layers manually using rotation tools.

And now I am unable to move points around. I can select everything, but not move anything.

The problem described in this thread is close to what I am experiencing: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24996&start=15

So I will go look for keys placed on the negative side of the timeline, and see how that works.
Droxon

Post by Droxon »

If it was a bone issue, i'll look first into the actions because sometimes when i move points from my characters, the smart bones start acting really weird, but is just a matter of re-doing the smart bone movement again.

But your problem sounds like a nightmare, why don't you just start again?

That's why i always save my work by increments for example animation01, animation02, etc.

This way if for some reason your file gets corrupt, you can always go back to the previous version.

You can try deleting all the actions, or removing all the animation from the document just to test if the issue is gone.
willf

Post by willf »

Well, I can say that it's not an issue with having a keyframe at a negative spot on the timeline.

But your problem sounds like a nightmare, why don't you just start again?

That's why i always save my work by increments for example animation01, animation02, etc.

I think I will at this point. It's not like I was dedicated to the animation I got from this rig, and technically I just need to go back to an earlier version, rebuild the spine again, rebind the points and re-rig the smart-bones. It may be faster that way. It's just that it represents about 18 hours of work so I thought I'd give it a shot and see if someone else might have run into it, and had a fix handy. But oh well.