Anime Studio 10.1 Available Now!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Fahim

Anime Studio 10.1 Available Now!

Post by Fahim »

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that Anime Studio 10.1 is available now. If you own Anime Studio Debut 10 or Anime Studio Pro 10, you can automatically update from within the application. Go to Help > Check for Updates.

You can also download the updates directly here: http://anime.smithmicro.com/updates.html

Here's some more info on the 10.1 update. The following info is from the Anime Studio Pro 10.1 ReadMe:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Fixes/Improvements in Anime Studio® Pro 10.1 Update
-----------------------------------------------------------------

-- Localized Builds --
- The application now runs in English, German or Spanish.

-- Key Bug Fixes --
- Fixed over 200 bugs

-- Enhancements --
- The new Crop Tool allows you to crop an image layer to a specified area.
- Layers can be copied and pasted between documents with the Edit > Copy Layer and Edit > Paste Layer commands.
- Switch layers are displayed in the timeline. Mouse over to see which layer is active at that keyframe.
- Condense or expand the Timeline Options bar with the View > Show Timeline Options command, or by using a new Timeline Options widget and accompanying dialog.
- Display or hide the Play and View controls in the timeline with the View > Show Play & View Controls command.
- The Keyframe Settings dialog helps you manage settings for selected keyframes.
- The Animation > Consolidate Layer Channels command allows you to expand or collapse layer channels in the timeline or with the Consolidate timeline channels option in the Preferences dialog.
- The Paste Relative command allows you to paste selected keyframes that continue animation from the state at which the keyframes were pasted.
- New documents are now assigned a name of Untitled-X, where X is a number that is one higher than the number of opened documents.
- A chevron in the Documents tab allows you to display the names of other opened documents if there are more than can be displayed in the Documents tab.
- A new preference allows you to automatically close the current document and switch to a gathered project file after gathering.
- GPU acceleration can be enabled or disabled in Anime Studio Debut and Pro through an option in the Preferences dialog.
- A preference option allows you to enable or disable whether analytics information (hardware information and feature usage) is sent to Smith Micro.
- The Draw > Freeze Visible Points command allows you to freeze all points currently visible in the project.
- New commands in the Bone menu allow you to freeze selected bones, or all bones that are currently visible in your scene.
- The Keyboard Shortcuts editor has been enhanced to display the number of times duplicate shortcuts are used. You can hover over the indicator to display the commands that use that shortcut.
- Bones can be marked as “shy”, allowing you to display or hide all shy bones with a single menu command. (AS 10.1 Pro only)
- When multiple layers are selected, an option in each tab allows you to apply all settings from that tab to other selected layers. (AS 10.1 Pro only)
- Document-wide or layer-specific timeline markers help you identify key events in your animation. (AS 10.1 Pro only)
- Elastic interpolation enhancements allow you to control the scale and direction (forward or reverse) of the interpolation. (AS 10.1 Pro only)
- The File > Export as Version 9 File saves your project for Anime Studio 9 compatibility. (AS 10.1 Pro only)
- The File > Export FBX command allows you to export your Anime Studio projects to 2D and 3D application that support FBX format (such as Unity or Autodesk products). (AS 10.1 Pro only)
- Use the View > FBX Preview Mode command to preview and modify your project before exporting to FBX mode. Changes that you make while in this mode will be carried over when viewing in standard development mode. (AS 10.1 Pro only)
- Bone dynamics can be enabled or disabled with the Animation > Enable Bone Dynamics command, allowing you to choose between accuracy or performance during animation playback. (AS 10.1 Pro only)
- The Collapse Layers script allows you to animate the collapsing or expanding of layers contained in a group layer. (AS 10.1 Pro only)
- The Unroll Shapes script allows you to unroll multiple shapes in a layer, cascading their visibility. (AS 10.1 Pro only)

Regards,

Fahim
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Anime Studio 10.1 Available Now!

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Another nice feature (my favorite of 10.1) is to be able to copy and paste keyframes from one layer to other. You even can copy keyframes from one character and paste them on another one (if they share the same -or similar- bone structure).
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

Looks like they're gradually starting to implement bone groups using "Shy" bones. I wish they would have taken this idea further.
I also hope we'll be able to show and hide vector groups too.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Released in conjunction with a sale on the software as well. Hmmm, this is making it almost too good to NOT finally take the plunge...
~Danimal
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Fahim:

I want to get excited about all of these new features - but I have no idea why we need them.

Times and resources being what they are, I understand the lack of funding for demonstrating the "whys" of Anime Studio - but the value of demonstrating the new features of each point release should not be underestimated - especially in light of continued and increasing sales.

I'm sure these new features have been added at the request of those who use the software the most, both professionally and as hobbyists - but I'm afraid new and casual users are in the dark about why they are important and in which circumstances they will benefit from using them - just as I am.

Greg Smith
Tidou

Post by Tidou »

Hi,

By the way, regarding compatibility :

I'm interesting to buy AS pro 10.1 but I don't know if this latest verison is full Windows XP compatible. On version 9 box, I read "XP". Is an Windows XP user here who can confirm Windows XP + AS pro 10.1 combination is ok ?

On official Smith Micro website, system required is at least Windows 7 :?

Thanks a lot for attention !
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I have found no problems with 10.1 on XP except that Preview Animation does not work and GPU acceleration is buggy.
Tidou

Post by Tidou »

Thanks !

Perhaps before version 10, Anime Stduio was more compatible with Xp ? ... "Preview Animation" works with earlier versions ?

I presume it's restricting to not have possibility to preview animation :?
Fahim

Post by Fahim »

Psmith wrote:Fahim:

I want to get excited about all of these new features - but I have no idea why we need them.

Times and resources being what they are, I understand the lack of funding for demonstrating the "whys" of Anime Studio - but the value of demonstrating the new features of each point release should not be underestimated - especially in light of continued and increasing sales.

I'm sure these new features have been added at the request of those who use the software the most, both professionally and as hobbyists - but I'm afraid new and casual users are in the dark about why they are important and in which circumstances they will benefit from using them - just as I am.

Greg Smith

We will coordinate a webinar as we usually do and introduce the new features so that everyone understands their significance. Stay tuned. Thanks!

Regards,

Fahim
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Tidou wrote:Thanks !

Perhaps before version 10, Anime Stduio was more compatible with Xp ? ... "Preview Animation" works with earlier versions ?

I presume it's restricting to not have possibility to preview animation :?
Preview Animation is a new feature that has been added since XP was no longer supported. It has never worked on XP, AFAIK.
negroclarito

Post by negroclarito »

Some features are really helpful.
Copy and paste frames and layers between different windows saves time.

In the other hand... I'm having many problems with the bones of my characters since I updated this last version. I think is something related to the actions.
negroclarito

Post by negroclarito »

WOW!!... I can even copy frames and create new actions with that... YEEEES!!!
Good new features.
Jeremedia

Post by Jeremedia »

I've been using ASP for a bunch of years now (my old account was alexean :D ) and I was very hesitant at first to buy this upgrade, I didn't see many new features that really called my name.

But having said that, I am so glad I did! This new version is finally catching up to the requests and ideas a lot of people have had and I am happy with the changes! Although the new bone and tool combinations are taking some getting used too, I'm very happy with it overall!

I hope this keeps updated, would be nice to keep ASP up to date every month instead of every year.

If you are like me and have used ASP for years and were undecided about upgrading, do it ! You really won't regret it!