Going to college with an art scholarship + Questions

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ianmage1

Going to college with an art scholarship + Questions

Post by ianmage1 »

This is exciting! My graphics design teacher had recommended me for a city art scholarship; for my work sample, I submitted my 2013 animation demo reel:

I was notified that I was one of three recipients for the $1,000 scholarship! The crazy thing about all this: I'm not enrolling into an art school, and I'm not even majoring in art; I'm majoring in computer science. Because of that, I didn't think I had much of a chance at being a recipient.

Choosing my major was a very difficult decision; I have more passion for animation than anything else. However, after taking AP Computer Science and considering the demand for computer science majors, I decided it was best to choose a major that would more likely promise a financially-benefiting and stable career. In my "dream university," I would be able to major in Computer Science and Animation, but such a university doesn't exist anywhere near my area...
I will continue animating on the side, and, if everything goes according to plan, I just might be able to pursue an animation degree after receiving my computer science degree.

But, now, I have some important questions to ask of all the employed animators on this forum:

Did you receive a degree in animation/art?
If so, do you think a degree is entirely necessary?
--Or, do people with degree's generally have better demo reels?

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the forum members for helping me throughout the years; I never received official animation tutoring, and I don't think I'd be where I am now, with the scholarship, without the help of the forum and the AS software itself.
So, thank you.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1
Majoring in computer science doesn't leave much time for animation...
jahnocli

Re: Going to college with an art scholarship + Questions

Post by jahnocli »

Congratulations and good luck! I've got an art degree, and that has proved useful on a number of occasions, career-wise. Was it entirely necessary? That's a really hard question to answer. Many extremely successful businessmen dropped out of college, and I've taught students with art degrees that found difficulty in drawing! I always thought this was incredible, but maybe that just proves I'm an old fogey...

I don't have any experience reviewing students' demo reels, so I can't help you there.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
ianmage1

Post by ianmage1 »

jahnocli wrote:Congratulations and good luck! I've got an art degree, and that has proved useful on a number of occasions, career-wise. Was it entirely necessary? That's a really hard question to answer. Many extremely successful businessmen dropped out of college, and I've taught students with art degrees that found difficulty in drawing! I always thought this was incredible, but maybe that just proves I'm an old fogey...

I don't have any experience reviewing students' demo reels, so I can't help you there.
Thank you very much, jahncoli. Just out of curiosity, is your art degree specifically in animation, or is it general art?
I've been considering taking a minor in art, though I'm unsure whether or not it would benefit me as an animator.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1
Majoring in computer science doesn't leave much time for animation...
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

ianmage1 wrote:Just out of curiosity, is your art degree specifically in animation, or is it general art?
General art -- fine art (painting). Wish I'd taken an animation course, but hey, don't have many regrets!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Congratulations on the scholarship! That is awesome! I don't have an art degree, but I'm sure a minor in art would help you with animation, especially figure drawing classes for your character animation. At least that's what they always say in the animation books. :D And since your work seems to explore cinematography already, I bet you would also enjoy some film classes.