How long have you been using AS?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lumpy

How long have you been using AS?

Post by Lumpy »

Just as a point of curiosity; how long has everyone been using Anime Studio?
Tradley

Re: How long have you been using AS?

Post by Tradley »

My first version of Anime Studio was Debut 8. It was for my birthday, on July 2012. And I remember not too long after that, version 9 was being released. Its promotional sale got me to purchase Pro 8 with a free upgrade to 9. Currently I use 9.5 to this day. I'll be upgrading to 10 this summer.
So, I've been using this software for a little over a year and a half.
Who says Moho is worse than Adobe Flash?!
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I bought it in 2007 when it had just changed names from Moho to Anime Studio 5. For a few years I got caught up in 3D animation and wasn't using Anime Studio as much. I had upgraded to version 7 and eventually 9.5. I'll get 10 at some point, I haven't determined when yet though.
~Danimal
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

I've had a copy of it, and tinkered with it a few years before Smith Micro got a hold of it and changed it to Anime Studio. It was Moho, but I don't remember the version. It was pretty early on though... I just did a search, and my first posting on here was August 25, 2006... And prior to that posting, I was a lurker for a while.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I didn't start using Anime Studio until last October (2013). Although, like the guys above, I purchased a license of Moho a zillion years ago but I never really used it. At the time, I thought Moho had a lot of potential but it also needed a lot of work to be practical for production work. When 9.0 came out, I took another look and saw that it had indeed come a long way since Moho.

Then last fall I upgraded to 9.5 and got a second license for my partner Alisa, and we seriously crammed learning Anime Studio to use on a short film called 'Scareplane'. We finished that film a few weeks ago.

Very pleased with how ASP worked out for us on that production and we're looking forward to using version 10 on our next gig. :)

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Wow... I checked and it appears I've been using "Moho" since 2005.... yikes. I should have much more stuff done in all those years <sigh>.

I downloaded the trial version of Moho... played with it for a few hours... then immediately bought it. Back then there was just one version for $99. I really wish I had kept the installer for that version. I still have several computers that could run it.

I purchased it based mainly on three things:
1. Bones (Very similar to Animation Master bones. No learning curve at all. I jumped right in.)
2. Vectors (Similar to Animation Master vectors in how they "moved", unlike Flash and traditional bezier.)
3. Scripting

I liked the vectors once I got the hang of it. I had used Animation Master for many years so the bones in Moho were a no brainer. I understood them instantly. But it was the freaking awesome cool, simple to learn built in scripting that really got my juices flowing. ;) Once I saw that... saw how easy and powerful it was to do sooooo much stuff.

Animation Master had an "open" SDK for "scripting" features, but it had to be compiled as a plugin. It just was not easy to do. I was getting tired of 3D animation. It was so much work creating characters. Seeing the "plain text" lua scripting in Moho blew my socks off.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Started with Moho in 2003.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Long-haul user, short-haul finisher (I'm ashamed to say).
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I've been using it about the same length of time as Danimal. About 7 years or so. I was looking at Moho for quite a while after seeing it reviewed, with other 2D software, in a UK magazine. Of course, as soon as I went to buy it I couldn't find it! Then it re appeared as Anime Studio via Smith Micro and I bought it immediately :D I just about managed to convince the company I worked for to use it (as all the animator's loved it) for a 2D TV series we were to do but, unfortunately, the new US parent company decided to close us down at that point :cry: I still use it and a friend who I introduced to AS at the aforementioned company purchased the software and has used it for commercials.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I bought AS6 the day it was released. A friend of mine had Moho and I messed around with it on his computer prier to buying AS6. I lurked around the forum for a good while before registering Dec 2009.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

wizaerd wrote:a few years before Smith Micro got a hold of it and changed it to Anime Studio.
AmigaMan wrote:Then it re appeared as Anime Studio via Smith Micro
I wouldn't be the petty, nit-picky person I am if I didn't point out that it came out first through E Frontier then went to Smith Micro.
~Danimal
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Haha, you're right and I'd completely forgotten about that! My memory is nothing like it used to be :(
stealingfeathers

Post by stealingfeathers »

Just last Fall 2013. I had to find a substitute for Adobe Flash because we were moving my college classes from being on-site, to online. We didn't want the online students to be stuck paying for Flash. It is a rural community college in a very low-income area. I looked online for the whole summer and tried a few very strange 2D animation programs. I was so relieved and happy that I found Anime Studio.
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Been using it since around August 2013.
Had only done basic gif animations before and always thought animation was just too hard for me.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Seems like a lot of use started using it last fall. I guess 9.5 was the push we needed. :)

G.