Created With Anime Studio

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Ronbo

Created With Anime Studio

Post by Ronbo »

In addition to Selgin's always-wonderful work, I have to say that I just love this short piece by Charles Kenway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RcGC_Z ... PAGz25oxmQ

It's usually not too difficult to tell when an animation was created in AS, but when I watched this I wasn't thinking "oh, yeah, Anime Studio." I found myself just enjoying a beautiful little piece of animation that offered an intriguing hint of an interesting story. Well done!

Also, in case you missed this on the SM blog, here are a couple of feature-length animated films created with AS:

http://blog.smithmicro.com/2014/02/28/u ... me-studio/
Danimal

Re: Created With Anime Studio

Post by Danimal »

Wow, that really is quite nice.
~Danimal
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Ronbo wrote:...I just love this short piece by Charles Kenway
Aka forum member Chucky. Agree, this is really impressive work. 8)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

That is a fantastic work, very inspiring. The best part is it's on the AS10 library, if you want to take a look (though you will need a more powerful computer than mine to check it in all its grandiosity :roll: )
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Whoa, thanks for pointing that out, Victor! I will be taking a closer look at it. I had assumed that Chucky used After Effects in addition to ASP for this piece, but it looks like it was created entirely in ASP10! All the more impressive.
Tonymax

Post by Tonymax »

fantastic animation. .how is it done...
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Well, it would awesome if Chucky could elaborate on how he created this. After taking a bit closer look at it, I would say that it seems that many of the images were created/painted in another program like Photoshop or Painter on separate layers and imported into ASP as images and placed into bone layers in order to be manipulated and animated. Also, particle layers were used for the insects and dust particles. Beyond that, you'd have to just look at the file itself.

To my mind, this along with the other wonderful library content is almost worth the upgrade by itself, let alone all the new tools and features. I have no doubt I am going to learn a lot from this and Selgin's and other content.
Distinct Sun

Post by Distinct Sun »

Ronbo wrote:... I would say that it seems that many of the images were created/painted in another program like Photoshop or Painter
… Or Manga Studio ;)
He created some of the art for the new CK Animal pack characters in Manga Studio, I am not sure if he did it all there though. We'll have to see if he will chime in at some point.

Agreed. It is Amazing to have such great examples in the library to pick apart and get inspiration from. You have all of these rigged image based characters and scenes and then there all of the additional vector figures and scenes for the holiday card scenes. Great stuff! :)
"All colors are the friends of their neighbors and the lovers of their opposites."
Marc Chagall
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hey thanks, everyone you are all too kind.
I should answer the questions regarding the image editing software I used.
For years I was a Painter devotee and used it it for almost everything, so when I did the first Sketch of this idea ( I have a whole film concept for it- but it's better out here than shoved in a box), I did use that.
Over the years painter has been losing favour with me for various reasons , mostly related to lack of development and overpriced but weak updates.
Then I was introduced to Manga Studio, I had no idea before what it was capable of.
This wasn't too long ago but I try to use it for as much as I can, so I finished the piece in Manga Studio.
Much of the illustration was done in that, especially the background stuff, which is pretty much Manga Studio.
I can't recommend it enough, it has amazing tools that exist both in vector and raster forms.
Crustacea was done on raster layers.

Oh btw there seems to be something a little strange about the render there, which is swimming, and rotating. I'm not exactly sure why.
Probably has something to do with the default camera in AS which is much too wide IMHO.
It doesn't have to look like that and I normally get a clean crisp render, and yes I was trying to illustrate how ASP can play with the big boys ( like AFX), when it comes to concept animation like this.

Anyhoo, I normally start with a much longer lens, set further away from the subject.
Here is a version with a more natural focal length and rendered in 'STEREO' , I hope someone out there has a 3d monitor like me and might like to put the specs on for this.
Of course you can watch in 2D or 3D , but I recommend 720.

If you have a passive screen it's really no hassle -can't wait for the the auto-stereo screens , it'll be like the 'talkie' revolution' of bygone days.

Thanks again everyone, I'm glad you enjoyed it, I hope the file is of some value for reverse engineering.
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Chucky.
That is simply astounding mate!!!!! This has got to be the best piece I have ever seen done with AS!

Cheers
D.K