Anime Studio 10

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

neeters_guy

Re: Anime Studio 10

Post by neeters_guy »

synthsin75 wrote:Yeah, you have to deactivate the license within AS before you can activate it elsewhere, but certainly there is a way to call SM or use their website to do this remotely.
ratscloset wrote:If you have issues with Activation, Support can assist you. You can deactivate installations to reactivate if needed due to change in system, upgrade or repair of components.
Thanks for clarifying, ratscloset and synthsin. Most helpful.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Actually, many professional applications have multiple installations/single operator licenses, which I think is fair and it's all I ask. In fact, nearly every graphics, 3D, compositing, and music program we use in our studio makes this allowance. The one significant exception, as mentioned earlier, is Toon Boom, which does allow you to occasionally move your license but their system can at times be very inconvenient, like when I'm busy working at home and at a client's location on the same project. Once, for example, I arrived at the studio only to find that my license was still active at my home location, so I had to run back home to deactivate it, and then return to work. And the system can be nightmarish when it locks you out on a weekend with a deadline looming, and there's nobody available in tech support to reactivate your license. Again, love the software, hate the licensing. (Sadly, I was told that they rarely get complaints about it from other users, so I don't think it's likely to change any time soon.)

You mentioned Adobe CC, which allows two active installations per license with single suser privileges. I think this has been ideal for most freelancing artists. Many (most?) freelancers have a workstation at home and a mobile computer for working off-site, and it is necessary to be able to run the software on two computers, even if they only do it occasionally. Thankfully Adobe recognizes this situation, and they even went a step further by allowing users to deactivate their licenses remotely when it becomes necessary--like in the 'Toon Boom' situation I described above.

As it turns out, Anime Studio 10 allows for multiple installation/single user, so it's all good by me. My concern this morning was that they had gone with the 'Toon Boom' model or, even worse, node locked it forever to a single computer.

I'm soooo glad this isn't the case. :)

G.
Joofville

Post by Joofville »

I think I'll finally be upgrading my copy of Anime Studio 8.2 to version 10. Although I mostly work in ToonBoom Animate, I often use Anime Studio Pro for various projects. It's always been an awesome piece of software and I'm looking forward to checking out the new features. With regards to licensing and ToonBoom, they are pretty strict but I've always found them to be helpful, I even got software from them at a reduced rate after chatting to their sales team. Back to topic, good job on version 10 Smith Micro.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Upgraded one of our ASP licenses yesterday.

Activating it was not any different from most programs we use here (with the few exceptions noted above.) I see a Deactivation option under the Help menu, so Activation/Deactivation of an installation should be easy. More importantly for me is that the system does allow me to have ASP 10 active on both my home studio workstation and mobile computer, so long as I'm not running both copies at the same time of course. That's very reasonable and convenient to freelancing artists, so no further grumbling from me. Thanks Smith-Micro. :)

I got to play with 10 for a couple of hours last night and, yes, it is worth the upgrade! Version 10 addresses many common user requests and issues posted elsewhere in this forum, plus it adds a few interesting tools I haven't seen before. The Blob brush and Point Reduction brushes, for example, are very clever and they should speed up the drawing process in ASP. I love how the functions of multiple tools have been merged into fewer tools. That will also improve workflow efficiency.

Still can't define the pivot position for Transform Points tool though. Not a deal killer but it would help a lot to see this added (maybe in 10.5?) :P

(Yes, I know there's a mod script available that does that, but it's probably unwise to use any pre-10 mods until I'm more familiar with what's changed. From what I saw in the videos, some of the mods I currently use in 9.5 may have become obsolete in 10.)

Anyway, Alisa and I are picking up our next freelance gig in a couple of weeks and at the moment it looks like we'll be using ASP 10 on it.

Congratulations and thanks to the devs for another exciting new release! :D

G.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

More info on license and activations:
  • AS10 allows three devices to be activated.
  • AS10 can be used on all those devices at the same time, by the one user (like using one device to render while working on another).
  • A device can be deactivated through the Help menu, and if that is not available (hard drive crash, no access to device, etc.) you can contact SM support.
  • Hopefully there are plans to make an automated website to manage activations remotely.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

synthsin75 wrote:More info on license and activations:
  • AS10 can be used on all those devices at the same time, by the one user (like using one device to render while working on another).
  • A device can be deactivated through the Help menu, and if that is not available (hard drive crash, no access to device, etc.) you can contact SM support.
  • Hopefully there are plans to make an automated website to manage activations remotely.
Are you sure it is this way Wes? I was under the impression that I had to deactivate AS 10 on my main computer each time I used it on my slaves to render.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

You can install AND run on 3 machines at the same time.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

sbtamu wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:More info on license and activations:
Are you sure it is this way Wes? I was under the impression that I had to deactivate AS 10 on my main computer each time I used it on my slaves to render.
Yes. Very reliable source for that info. But you can verify for yourself that AS10 allows 3 activations, and one user (one man studio) using all three at once doesn't violate the EULA section about allowing a third party access. (Although it does seem the user manual needs to be updated to include all this info.)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's cool--I didn't know the license went that far. Simultaneous use on three machines by a single user is more generous than most licenses. Many licenses allow multiple machine activation but require the user to run only one installed copy at a time. Some licensing systems (like Adobe's) will actually prevent you from from running multiple copies on different computers simultaneously, and force you to quit one of the copies. (I don't think that's unreasonable but it can be annoying sometimes, like when I'm running Photoshop for just a minute on one computer to check something and then switching back to the other computer to continue working.)

As mentioned earlier, I only need to run one copy at a time but I'm very happy that I can run it on my workstation at the home studio or on my laptop when 'on the road' (which is most of the time.) Having both copies active means I can switch computers immediately when I get home without going through an annoying (and potentially crippling) Deactivation/Activation procedure.

G.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I think what'd really help newcomers is if Victor's v10 movie AS files are released to public so they can see how he animated those scenes, if the files aren't already available with the purchase of v10.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Mikdog wrote:I think what'd really help newcomers is if Victor's v10 movie AS files are released to public so they can see how he animated those scenes, if the files aren't already available with the purchase of v10.
I believe they said in the webinar they are, which really should be of tremendous help.
~Danimal
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Danimal wrote:
Mikdog wrote:I think what'd really help newcomers is if Victor's v10 movie AS files are released to public so they can see how he animated those scenes, if the files aren't already available with the purchase of v10.
I believe they said in the webinar they are, which really should be of tremendous help.
No, sorry, but they aren't in the library. I finished that movie after the final candidate version of the software. I will see what can be done about it. Anyway, I plan to, at least, create a video showing that files (maybe tomorrow, if I get the time).
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I think that'd be a great idea. Instead of the cool video being an abstract concept, after buying the software people can really see what mechanics were used in the creation of it and poke around within the files. Great way to learn.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Ok, here is a video:

I little too long, sorry
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

How many people created this?
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu