Anime Studio 10

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: Anime Studio 10

Post by Greenlaw »

Ugh, I hate that too. I hope Smith-Micro's licensing system is more flexible than Toon Boom's. It's the one big reason I'm discouraged from using Toon Boom products regularly as they only allow one activation at a time and it's a hassle to move that license between my laptop and workstation. I can't tell you the number of times I got stuck away from my workstation and not able to use Toon Boom Storyboard Pro on my laptop because of this scheme. I can't even move the license between computers daily because the server will lock me out if I move the license too frequently. (Which is what I need to do because I work on animation projects at the local diner, coffee shop and public library as much as I do at my home studio.) I've also been locked out of the program a few times because the license failed on the computer it was installed on--it's nerve wracking when I'm on a tight deadline. As much as I like using Toon Boom Storyboard Pro, the licensing system is the one thing that I really hate about it.

So, definitely not a fan of this type of licensing. If that's not clear enough, it's was one of the reasons we choose Anime Studio Pro for 'Scareplane' over Toon Boom Animate. Grr! Why to vendors keep insisting on punishing loyal paying customers?

I hope there is at least an allowance to install on two devices simultaneously (i.e., workstation and laptop.) Most independent freelancing artist work this way and many graphics software companies recognize the situation and allow that much--Adobe, for example, allows two active devices with their Creative Cloud system so long as the user is not running two installations at the same time, and they make it easy to close open activations remotely from any computer you're currently on, so you can open and run the software wherever you need it. A few software vendors with server based licensing systems will allow you to install and run on as many as you need so long as you're not running on two at the same time. Pilgway's 3D-Coat comes to mind--if you accidentally launch a second copy without closing the first, it simply informs you that you need to close one open license before continuing. Polite and not so bad really.

Okay, rant mode off.

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I was just about to upgrade our two ASP licenses too. Now I'm a bit hesitant. Will wait and see how other pro users feel about this.

G.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Hmm, well I have upgraded and it wasn't made clear that it's locked to one computer. At installation it just asks you to register your license as always. If that's the case, and I've understood correctly, that it's locked to one machine I will be asking for a refund and stick with version 9.5. On principle I WILL NOT use software that stops working if I have to change my hard drive. The people that don't buy it and get cracked versions avoid any of these hassles. Punishing those that actually pay and support the software is not on.
I hope Smith Micro can clarify this?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just so there's no misunderstanding, I don't know how the new Smith-Micro system works--I'm just airing my concerns about strict server-based licensing rules in general. I'm not against server-based licensing if it's flexible enough to work with the requirements of most freelancing artists (i.e., 1 workstation + 1 laptop,) and not against them.

I'd like to get some clarification too.

G.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Greenlaw wrote:...I'm discouraged from using Toon Boom products regularly as they only allow one activation at a time and it's a hassle to move that license between my laptop and workstation.
I had ToonBoom Studio 6 installed and then reformatted the hard drive after a virus infection. When I tried to reinstall, I got an error message that I exceeded my activations. When I emailed customer service explaining my situation, they refused to reset the activation. So I reluctantly upgraded to v7. That experience is one reason I decided not to upgrade to v8. :(

I supposed I don't have a huge problem with server activation as it's fairly common these days, but you MUST KNOW THE RULES so you don't screw yourself out of your license. Crazy Talk Animator has server activation too and I manage its installation very carefully. :!:
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

The software license agreement probably spells it out, one way or another. If you could check what it says, it's appreciated. :)

Sigh! Will probably upgrade one of our ASP licenses to check it out myself, and then decide if Little Green Dog should continue with further upgrades.

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

neeters_guy wrote:When I emailed customer service explaining my situation, they refused to reset the activation.
Wow, that's pretty strict. I got locked out of their server a few times but tech support always got me back on after a few email exchanges--though sometimes it took a few days, which is unprofessional IMO.

To be honest, I really like Toon Boom's software but their licensing system is what got me looking at alternatives like ASP.

After finishing our first film with ASP, I found that there was a lot to like here too. Hope the licensing in 10 doesn't mar this relationship.

G.
ratscloset

Post by ratscloset »

From the License....

Except as otherwise expressly permitted in the Documentation, you will only use the Software on a single computer at any given time, meaning that you must treat the Software "like a book." "Like a book" means that the Software may be used by any number of people and may be installed and activated on up to three (3) computers so long as no possibility exists of the Software being used at more than one (1) computer at any given time. More than one person at a time cannot read the same copy of a book, and this restriction applies to the Software.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

AmigaMan wrote:On principle I WILL NOT use software that stops working if I have to change my hard drive.
Yeah, this is really a BIG DEAL for me. I just got my computer file system reset with a new hard drive. Installing the OS and programs turned out to take a full week having to contact vendors about my old software and their activation licensing scheme. Apparently this is the new trend. So I have to re-download the "new software" (save version) and issue me new serial numbers as the old serial numbers won't work. Then re-install everything. Then there were the matters of uninstalling licenses before I was able to re-install onto the new HD.

Now that I have everything finally loaded and the new HD imaged and backed-up you would think I am in good shape. But what happens if the HD fails and I need to install a new HD? Well I thought of that too. I made a drive copy with another HD I had laying around. So in principle all I should need to do if it fails and I can't image it is to stick the drive copy in its place and I'm right back were I started. Yeah, except if the license is tied to the HD and it recognizes that the HD has a different device code and the license is not solely based on using the computer machine code. This kinda defeats the whole process of backing-up.

When I worked at a Pharmacy going through college we used 7 hard drives. Each day we would use that days HD and at the end of the day we would back-up the complete system and put it in the safe. If anything would happen we would have complete back-ups of the past 7 days. With the activation schemes some companies use that incorporate HD device codes that would not work. Totally insane!
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
ratscloset

Post by ratscloset »

If you have issues with Activation, Support can assist you. You can deactivate installations to reactivate if needed due to change in system, upgrade or repair of components.
Potoroo

Post by Potoroo »

ratscloset wrote:From the License....

Except as otherwise expressly permitted in the Documentation, you will only use the Software on a single computer at any given time, meaning that you must treat the Software "like a book." "Like a book" means that the Software may be used by any number of people and may be installed and activated on up to three (3) computers so long as no possibility exists of the Software being used at more than one (1) computer at any given time. More than one person at a time cannot read the same copy of a book, and this restriction applies to the Software.
Excellent, as long as that's from the ASP 10 licence. That's Smith Micro's version of the Borland licence (Borland invented the "like a book" licence, which is the most sensible licence ever).
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

So I understand AS10 can be activated on three machines, and as long as I use it on one machine only at a time, it's all good? So I can install v10 on my desktop machine at home, and on my laptop without being forced to deactivate and activate licenses?

Second question: the multiple object edit option looks great, but one of the major caveats of 9.5 and before is that animation channels of only one object can be displayed in the motion graph. Has that been improved to include multiple objects as well?
This is a biggie.

Third, I work with a three screen setup, and I have noticed that the windows' positions of windows moved other than where the main AS window is located will not be remembered, and next time I open AS those windows will be moved back to the main AS screen.

Also, dropdowns do not open on the correct screen - only on the screen with the main AS window.
This is incredibly frustrating, because EVERY TIME I open AS I have to rearrange all the windows. And then there's the dropdown issue to contend with too, which makes AS somewhat unusable on a multiple screen system.

And as for the new tabs that work with multiple files in v10: can they be torn off and moved to another screen? So we can work on two scenes simultaneously on two screens? And can the timeline window be duplicated so that one can work with both scenes' timelines and compare?

And can we separate the channels, sequencer and motion graph windows now? It's a pain when working with a multiple screen setup to be forced to switch between these three, while I could have them open all at once visible on the other screen. It's a bad workflow now for a dual or triple screen setup. This also holds true for the Actions palette: can those tabs be moved and combined freely now in AS10?

Does AS10 have a workspace management option like most other applications now?

In short, is AS10 multiple screen friendly now?

Btw, is there an option to turn on autozoom for the motion graph by default?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Whew! Thanks for the info! Knowing the terms makes me feel much better about upgrading to 10 and continuing with the ASP workflow. I'm probably going to replace my laptop at the end of the year, so having the third activation available is welcome news too.

Upgrading one license now, and probably upgrading our other one tonight. :)

G.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

That doesn't sound so bad as you can atleast still use the software on a different machine while sorting out another. I trust Smith Micro to re activate a license on a machine with hardware changes too. It's just that this usually takes a few days to sort out but the above puts my mind at rest.
Version 10 is excellent of course. Loving it so far as I always do :D
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I am not familiar with the new licensing and it doesn't effect me since I only have 1 computer. The new separate rendering "application" makes working while rendering easier as well. You can continue to work in Anime Studio while rendering because it is two separate processes. Also, with the new super fast "preview animation" this can save a ton of render time doing renders for preview and testing. The final renders can be done while you're sleeping or eating lunch using the batch render.

I have the Adobe Cloud suite. It also requires similar licensing activation but allows installation on two computers. However you can't use the software at the same time on both computers, only one at a time. Windows also only allows installation on a single computer. There are many applications that only allow a single installation. Music and movie licensing has the same rules. You buy a song or a movie you can't legally make copies of it. I say "legally" because there are always those who get around it. I bought movies with my Verizon on demand account which I can access through the internet from anywhere, but it won't allow me to play those movies except through an authorized device (ipad, laptop etc).

Many software companies are going in this direction with application licensing. It cuts down on bootlegging and also is a way to make back R & D costs. If people can simply install a single license on multiple computers the developers can't make back their investments in time and man hours.

I remember the "olden days" (20+ years ago). I knew people who worked for companies that would have a single license for all of their production software and install it on 50 computers. When Adobe first started to add in network verification of Photoshop, these people would have to turn off their file sharing just to use Photoshop because ten other people had the same serial number. This is the type of abuse that forces developers to come up with new ways to get what they deserve for their effort that goes into creating these applications.

If animation is a "hobby" then a single license on one computer should be enough. If you make money selling animation, a single paid job would pay for "extra" copies if needed. If a project is a "rush job" charge extra so you can get another copy for rendering.

These are just my opinions. I know it won't make anyone feel any better about it, but we all know what it feels like when we don't get paid what we deserve for the work we do. People always try to get more then what they paid for. It sucks but that's how the world works.