Best Practices: File Management

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

InfoCentral

Best Practices: File Management

Post by InfoCentral »

I am about to create a new, and hopefully final, primary hard drive. My last one only had a primary partition only. I have been told that I should use 2 partitions; a OS and program partition and a data partition. The OS and all the programs would go on the primary partition (C:) and all the data, images, etc. for the programs would go on the data portion (D:) thus reducing the size of the primary partition for image restoration. Then I heard that that wasn't the best way to do it.

The other way was to create 3 partitions, the primary only containing the OS (C:), all the program files on a second program partition (D:), and the data on a third partition (E:). So when you loaded your programs you would need to tell the installation wizard that you want to install to the second partition (D:) instead of the primary partition (C:). I'm not sure if all programs allow this or what effect it would have on speed. Would it slow down having to go back and forth from partition to partition? Also don't some programs force you to install to the C: partition or has this been resolved?

What are you thoughts?
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
Danimal

Re: Best Practices: File Management

Post by Danimal »

InfoCentral wrote:The OS and all the programs would go on the primary partition (C:) and all the data, images, etc. for the programs would go on the data portion (D:) thus reducing the size of the primary partition for image restoration.
That's how I have had my last two computers formatted without a problem as it makes the most sense. I split the hard drive in have, so each partition has equal space.

Also, this seems more like a "Misc. Chit Chat" or "Other Software" kind of question?
~Danimal
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Danimal wrote:That's how I have had my last two computers formatted without a problem as it makes the most sense. I split the hard drive in have, so each partition has equal space.
From what I have been told on the 3 part partitioning is that it makes it really easy to regularly/periodically reinstall the back-up image file. The idea is to keep (C:) primary partition as small as possible and thus keeping the image file very small. Thus you can quickly reinstall the system and your back up and running again within minutes. Some people clam they do this procedure on a monthly basis because through use and time the system files becomes corrupt.
Danimal wrote:Also, this seems more like a "Misc. Chit Chat" or "Other Software" kind of question?
Since this involves the installation and use of Anime Studio directly, I would say that it is very related to the topic General Discussion.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

If I were making a recommendation I would go for a solid state drive for the OS and apps. The bigger the better.

Since I got the macbook, I have a 256gb solid state internal drive which is a bit smaller compared to slower "regular" type drives, but is FREAKING FAST. So, the OS and apps are on the solid state drive. OS boots fast, apps launch really really fast. I have an external thunderbolt 3tb drive for back ups and other files that I don't want to waste the space on the solid state drive. I also moved all my iTunes stuff to the external drive.

When doing hard drive access critical stuff, like video, I like to use the internal solid state drive. The total space on it is only 256gb so I have to watch the space. I have about 80-100gb space available at any given time which is usually more than enough space for video projects.

I do get concerned about "running out of space" for new apps but probably my worries are unfounded. This use to happen all the time in the past. Especially when I was on a very old and cheap Windows PC that had a small internal C drive and a big drive with multiple partitions. I kept running out of space on the C drive for installing apps and had to start installing apps on another partition.

On my mac Now, I have about 35gb of apps. Apps just keep getting bigger and bigger, in some cases taking upwards of 500mb for a single app. I have the entire Adobe Suite installed and each of those is like 300-600mb and there's like... 15+ apps. I would prefer a larger solid state drive, but the price is still a bit high compared to the other drives. I haven't run into any space issues for apps so far.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Hummm...now I'm thinking perhaps a SSD with 2 partitions; C: for the OS and D: for apps. Then an additional lg HD for data. The thing I want to get right first is would it best to have a really small partition just for the OS so it could be imaged and reinstalled regularly in a snap. My son just redid his HD and he has only one partition. With Win7 and Adobe Master Collection the image file was already 88 gigs. I went to YouTube and the guys demoing imaging a HD appear to have only the OS on a small partition.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Interestingly a lot of power users on other forums have been advocating no partitioning. It seems the majority says use one HD for OS and apps and another one for data; two more as redundant back-up drives. I have like 8 HDs sitting here on my desk. Maybe I should go with a small SSD like 240gigs for the OS and apps and then mount 2 more 1.5 terabyte HDs; one for data and one for back-up. I can use another HD for redundant back-up through my front loader. Right now I'm using dual front loading HD system.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

An SSD disk for your OS + all programs is enough.

A big boy for your data. (doesn't have to be SSD)
A second one for your data if the first runs full.

And make plenty of backups on separate disks.

There's quite a lot of online backup systems nowadays too. (I use a Dutch one, it costs 5 euros a month for unlimited storage)

I noticed buying an SSD disk did so much more for my Mac Pro's performance than doubling the RAM.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I agree with many here, I use a 120GB SSD with no partitions for my C drive, OS and software, and I do not make an image, as drivers get updated all the time, so instead I made a bootable USB stick and I do a fresh install each time, that is every 4 months or so for my workstation.

It takes a little longer, but Windows installation from a USB stick is darn fast, and SSD boot up much faster.

For data I use a 1+0 raid of cheap sata drives, very fast and safe.

For backup I use HDs and an Antec Easy Sata, very convenient.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Normally, when we're working on short films, commericals or other projects, we point everything to a specific project directory on our network drive (i.e., 'scarelane', 'happyBox' or 'brudders'.) This works with any of the 3D animation, compositing and video editing applications we use, and we can easily move the content to other systems or networks because the drive letter doesn't matter to these programs

Unfortunately, I found that it doesn't work this way with ASP because the program looks at the full path including a specific drive letter. This caused a problem for me because I frequently sync data between our server at home and my mobile computer to work offline, but because our online content was on a drive with the letter R: and my mobile computer only has a C: drive, this meant I had to keep re-linking certain content files (backgrounds, audio, etc.,) after syncing. This became increasingly frustrating as the project grew in size.

My solution was to create a Virtual Hard Drive (VHD) on my laptop's C: drive with the drive letter R:--this tricks ASP on my mobile computer into thinking I'm on the same drive at our home studio network. The only 'annoying' thing about this is that Win 7 takes a minute or two to mount the VHD after the computer starts up. But that's time enough to get some coffee so no big deal. :)

BTW, if you decide to do this (and assuming you're on Windows 7), you'll need to write a script or use the free VHD Attach program to automatically mount the volume on startup. (VHD Attach can be found here: http://www.jmedved.com/vhdattach/.) Otherwise, you'll need to mount the VHD manually every time, which really would be annoying. (Note: I think this process may be easier in Win 8 but I don't have Win 8 to confirm. I'm not sure how you would do this on a Mac but I imagine there's an equivalent virtual drive system available.)

Anyway, this setup is also fully compatible with all our other software since nothing has really changed for them.

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Good you mention this. The very same problem exists on Mac: AS demands that the drive has the same name, so it's not enough to just copy a directory full of artwork and stuff, you need to re-create the exact path up to the drive's name before AS mercifully recognizes all dependent project files.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Joofville

Post by Joofville »

Currently I have a 256Gb SSD drive for Windows 7 and applications, data sits on a 2 TB Hard disk, my project folders are backup automatically online cloud stuff.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

What I did was take one of my 500 gig HDs and used that for my C: drive. I loaded the OS and am in the process of loading the programs on it now. I then took one of my 1.5 terabyte HDs and will use it for Data. Once I get all the OS updates and programs loaded I'll create a drive image and store it on one of the back-up drives. That should solve any future problems. I have a dual front loading HD system so doing back ups should be a snap.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

OK, things are going well. I am beginning to get all the programs back onto the new HD. The problem I am faced with now is installing ASP 9.5 as I can't seem to find that download yet. Is there anyway I can re-download it. I couldn't find any page to do that on the SM website. I did find my serial number of it.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

You should be able to check your order history for a download link here:

http://store.smithmicro.com/

Or else you can try to contact support at this page which is somewhat baffling:

https://support.smithmicro.com/

It looks like you'd want to open a new incident, but don't quote me on it.
~Danimal
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Thanks, found the download and re-installed it. Tried the SM website but it didn't have it listed on my account even though they are the ones who issued it to me. Good thing I keep all the emails with serial numbers on them.