Making Bone animation look like frame by frame

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AmigaMan

Re: Making Bone animation look like frame by frame

Post by AmigaMan »

Exactly Slowtiger. That's what I was trying to say but you said it far more eloquently! :D
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

My favorite type of animation is that Roger Ramjet, Rocky & Bullwinkle style cheap stuff from the late 60's early 70's, the amount of actual drawn frames was limited but the poses and designs made up for it, and lots of edits.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

slowtiger wrote:The original question is somewhat narrowly focused. "Does is look frame-by-frame" is not a question any audience member asks. They will ask "Is it good animation?"

It is OK to try to achieve a certain style, but a style is so much more than frame-by-frame which is just a technical term for a production technique. I can make something look like it's done in one way while in fact it was done in another, but that works only as long as I know to do it both ways myself. "Frame-by-frame" in essence means that you're a bloody good draughtsman, an actor with your pencil. Do you really think you can emulate being agood artist just by changing frame rates or interpolation methods?
Slowtiger said it right!

That said, we once did this animation in ASP:

The look was achieved by lots of switch layers which exchanged hand drawn images that had the same shape, but were just a little bit different because they were drawn by hand with nice brushes. Things are bend and stuff with bones, just like regular rigs.
Onionskin

Post by Onionskin »

shift wrote:Is there a technique to make bone styled animation look like frame by frame?
To make bone styled ASP animation to look like the classic animation? The answer is Yes!
shift wrote:Maybe messing with frame rates or sample rates etc?
Idea to decrease number of frames to 12 frames per second like classic cartoons to achieve better result is good thinking, but no, it won't help.

I was always unsatisfied with that "bone styled animation" until I start to use custom scripts (thank you Scriptwriters), draw, rig and animate characters in ASP on different way. My goal is always to make the animation to look like "Hand drawn" classic cartoon.

AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

VERY nice Onionskin. I remember your running character from a while back. Great work :D
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Onionskin wrote:

Those are nothing short of astonishing. Really very well done!
~Danimal
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Lukas, I loved your animation too. Amazing! I've not seen that before.
lilkimbo11

Post by lilkimbo11 »

shift wrote:Is there a technique to make bone styled animation look like frame by frame? Maybe messing with frame rates or sample rates etc?
If you mean making the animation choppy, kind of like in South Park, it requires lots of rest points throughout the animation and short distance between key frames. The best advice I can give you is to study the type of animation you wish to replicate frame by frame.