madriver

9.5 aaarrrgh!

Post by madriver »

In 9.x I was building a complex hand rig as follows:

HAND bone layer
---FINGER bone layer
---FINGER vector drawing of finger
HAND vector drawing of hand

Move the parent layer, and everything else moved with it automatically. Never had to offset bones or even bind layers or points. It just worked. Copy and paste the finger, and boom, I could have a first draft rig done in no time.

Now in 9.5, same setup, only the HAND bone layer moves. The children of the layer don't move with it. I tried everything, including putting every vector layer within the HAND bone layer. It created a mess and took 3x as long to rig, even with the new nested layers, flexi-binding and fading unselected layers controls. 9.5 was supposed to make my life easier but it's doing just the opposite! Help! File is attached:

http://quaju.com/test.html
funksmaname

Re: 9.5 aaarrrgh!

Post by funksmaname »

In 9.5 the finger bone layers are not needed - and having bones in them or having them bound to anything will stop the parent from reaching within. Put all finger bones into the parent layer, and if you want separation on the timeline, select each finger chain and colour code it.
madriver

Post by madriver »

Thanks so much for your help funksmaname! I knew there was operator error involved somehow... :oops:

BTW I really enjoy your youtube tuts. Any more coming up?
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I'm positive more will be coming - I've just been really busy, and I tend to just do them when I get excited about something... lots to get excited about with 9.5 - just praying for some free time to really play with it more!
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Another 9.5 Aaargh.

In the color picker there are times when I need to match a color from photoshop. In photoshop I'll go to the color picker and copy the color code, then (in Debut 6 at least) I go to the color picker and hit paste, and it works like a charm, except it doesn't in the 9 versions, there is no "highlight" "right click" "copy" or "paste" option in the 9 color picker. This slows things down a lot since now I have to manually input, but seems like it'd be an easy enough fix in the programing though.

A little frustrating
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

if you shift+click on a colour it will be saved to the clipboard for pasting anywhere else...

with this, and every other tool, don't forget there are 'tips' at the top just below the menu that tell you what all combination of modifier keys do.
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Thanks

This will add a color to the palette, but I'm not sure this will work when copying a color code from photoshop. The only reason I mention this is that sometimes I draw my characters first in Photoshop with highlights and blurs so the colors get blended. If I import them into AS as an image, the eyedropper won't work since it's not a vector. So I keep photoshop open while I'm re-building my vector character in AS, and in AS Debut 6 anyway, I was able to simply copy the color code in Photoshop and paste it directly into the AS color picker code section without the need to add it to the palette. It worked beautifully, but in 9 the copy/paste in the color picker was disabled. :(

I'll give your suggestion a shot
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The "new" color picker in 9.5 should copy the hex color from an image layer in AS into the clipboard using SHIFT + Click as Funk described. Then you can edit a style and paste into the color hex box. The color picker can't select colors outside of the program though.

I'm on a mac, so color picking may behave differently based on the platform.
CartoonM!ke

Post by CartoonM!ke »

Slightly off topic, but relevant to the recent posts (Hi Vern!):

To select a color from outside ASP, on a Mac, open an app that allows you to open up the Mac OS color picker*. In the upper left corner is an icon of a Magnifying glass. Click that, the mouse cursor becomes a magnifying glass icon and now what ever you click on your monitor screen will be sampled. There's a number of options in the color palette, one of which will display the RGB values of what's sampled. That value can be copied and pasted into ASP style palette/color palette. Of course, if ASP didn't "chain" us to having to use its own limited-in-features color palette, this would simplify a number of things. So we Mac-users don't have to load everySingleImage to sample them. We can use quick view (select a filename and hit the spacebar to bring up a preview image), go to the color palette, hit the magnifying glass icon and sample the quick view picture.

*We can open up TextEdit. In the tool bar there's a black color swatch, click on that and you'll see a color set. Below that is a button that says "show colors" click on that and you'll get the Mac OS color picker. TextEdit is a small app with a tiny memory footprint, so it shouldn't interfere w/ASP. We may have to "hide" ASP (command-H) if we're limited to a single screen.

Hope this is useful.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
"Of course I encourage kids to walk on my lawn. I mean, how else can I test out the death traps?"
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

As Vern said, the new colour picker can pick from images - so you may not even to copy/paste the hex... that is mainly useful for copying colour references into other places like gradient colours for instance.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I almost always load an image layer with a color palette into my AS files or I will load a custom palette image in the styles palette. When using the custom color palette I will create a "special" image with large blocks of color that works at such a small size. With the new color picker I am in freaking heaven! :) Saves a ton of effort now.
CartoonM!ke

Post by CartoonM!ke »

funksmaname wrote:As Vern said, the new colour picker can pick from images - so you may not even to copy/paste the hex... that is mainly useful for copying colour references into other places like gradient colours for instance.
You're right, but one can manually copy the individual R,G and B values and ASP will display the HEX values and the correct colors. A bit involved, but doable.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
"Of course I encourage kids to walk on my lawn. I mean, how else can I test out the death traps?"
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Thanks for all the explanations. I'll experiment with importing image/palette route and see how it goes
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Image import with eyedropper worked perfectly. No need to copy/paste anymore

Thanks everyone