Need Help with Rotating layers around Y and Camera

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wollomat

Need Help with Rotating layers around Y and Camera

Post by wollomat »

Part of my Rig are smartbones, that simulate a slight head-turn.
Part of the Head is turned around Y-Axis by the Rotating Layer tool.. looks cool.
Now the problem: Once I scale the layer or move it around. it gets out of place.. the Parts turned in 3d move different then the ones turned in 2d..
How can I turn an object around Y-Axis, move it, but keep it exactly the same and not realtively to the camera?
I tried the "Rotate to Face Camera" Option, but it doesnt really work.
Also the shear tool doesnt give me the same cool look.
Thanks for the Help!
heyvern

Re: Need Help with Rotating layers around Y and Camera

Post by heyvern »

Not sure I understand completely but I think this has to do with perspective distortion of 3D layer movements. The layers move in a "real" camera type of 3D space and the changes in the rotation pivot point or layer position are a result of the camera zoom and parts of the layer being further away from the camera.

The trick here is if you don't need the "realistic" 3D camera perspective, simply turn on "Immune to camera movement" on any layers that use the 3D transforms (this option is only available for TOP level layers, so if you have sub layers in a group, turn it on for the top level group). What this does is turn 3D motion into... uh... er... "flat" 3D? Gosh darnit... I always forget what that is called. This should eliminate the changes in position you describe if I understood correctly.

For example say you rotate a layer with a square shape on the y axis. Without "immune to camera movement" turned on the square becomes a trapezoid, Instead of a rectangle or parallelogram... is that right? Sounds right.

What the heck is that type of perspective called? Anerglyphic? Polymorphantiastic? Dang it all to heck I always forget. :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

heyvern wrote:What the heck is that type of perspective called? Anerglyphic? Polymorphantiastic? Dang it all to heck I always forget. :)
Orthographic?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

synthsin75 wrote:
heyvern wrote:What the heck is that type of perspective called? Anerglyphic? Polymorphantiastic? Dang it all to heck I always forget. :)
Orthographic?
Bingo! That's it. :)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Using Y rotation for a head turn will always give you different results depending on where in the scene your character stand: middle, left, right. That's why I'd avoid this.

If I must use this effect, I'd render out the head animation as video and re-import it, then animate all place changing animation with the character.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
wollomat

Post by wollomat »

Wow you guys are really amazing, pure gold for someone
who is in a production and has a deadline coming!
Thansk for the fast answer.
Actually the "Immune to camera" setting did the trick.
It also weakens down the rotation, so I will just increase it..
mm is this kind of perspective called "Isometric" maybe?
But Isometric means that all parts are turned in 45 degree angles.
Thanks again!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Glad to help out.

Orthographic or isometric? Not sure. They both may be right. I think isometric uses the same angles for all the 3D projections. Makes it easier to make those old style video games. ;)