toon booms harmony

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

victorialatham

toon booms harmony

Post by victorialatham »

i was just looking on the toon boom web site and there program harmony seems very similar to moho,-but im guessing it probably costs a lot more. does anyone know anything about it or use it? which one is the best?
myles

Post by myles »

Hello Victoria(?),

The only comparison that comes close is probably Steve Ryan's Animation Tools Showdown, which compares ToonBoom (Studio, I think) and Moho (version 4? version 3?). It's a little out-of-date - Moho now has styles, actions, 3D camera, 3D multi-plane layout, Papagayo for lipsynch, scripting, etc.

I haven't really looked at ToonBoom products in depth.
Purely from the ToonBoom website marketing blurbs, I'd guess Moho has better bone constraints, but Harmony probably has more complete library management tools (although you can create libraries within Moho files and use Import Moho Object to achieve, I suspect, similar results). Harmony looks to have better support for a more traditional workflow (frame-by-frame cels: animation roughs, cleanup, ink&paint), but I suspect Moho has some innovative advantages in non-traditional methods.
Lost Marble has a great knack for putting a simple and useable interface over some complex concepts - Moho's superb particle system, for example (I haven't seen particles mentioned in any of the ToonBoom literature I've looked at).

ToonBoom Solo is marketed at US$3,000 (yup, three thousand - compared to Moho at US$99), and Harmony is a step up and multi-user, so it probably costs even more.

If your budget stretches that far, try them both before buying. As a low-budget one-person hobbyist, I'm absolutely delighted with Moho, in terms of price, features, productivity, and support.
It's also nice to see occasional comments from professionals who are pleased with Moho and using it in professional (paid, quality) work.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
The400th

Post by The400th »

Harmony doesn't have Bones or Particles, both features that Moho has. And the workflow is completely different. It's more designed for Asian and Indian studios with hundreds of low-paid employees than it is for western studios.

You're right, Myles, Harmony costs a LOT more than Solo.

The only advantage Harmony has over Solo is better scanning (pointless if you're going for a paperless solution) and better asset management. Since you can get free asset management tools nowadays, there's really no reason to get Harmony now you can buy Solo.

But both Moho and Solo have demos, so don't believe the marketing hype, download them and try them out. You will find them very different though.
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

The400th wrote:Harmony [...] is more designed for Asian and Indian studios with hundreds of low-paid employees than it is for western studios.
Right. Keep that evil :evil: company in mind... :x
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

The400th wrote:Since you can get free asset management tools nowadays, there's really no reason to get Harmony now you can buy Solo.
Such as? I used to use Canto Cumulus in my Mac days, many moons ago.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

The400th wrote:Harmony doesn't have Bones
...Harmony HAS bones! And Solo too (they are almost the same), but they have very ugly aparence (like a simple red lines :roll:) and seems that it offer similar possibilities than Moho bones but I don't know how the movements affect exactly at vector points, I mean, I LOVE the "squisy" movement in Moho Flexi Binding mode and I'm not sure about this point in Harmony/Solo... I should investigate it but I've had no time to do it yet :(
The400th

Post by The400th »

No Ramon, Harmony has a skeleton and a very basic IK. That's NOT the same as bones in Moho.

Once you have time to investigate it, you'll see.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

I can imagine that will not be the same, yes... I think Moho is more specializated in bone features (it is in version 5 at last), cause of this I said that I din't know about bone points/layers interaction in Harmony... Well, now I can see that you wanted to say 8) , so SORRY! I read this: "Harmony doesn't have Bones or Particles" and I thought that you treated to say that this feature doesn't exist in harmony :roll: ...that exists, but in a different (poor/basic?) way, well... that's all :)
The400th wrote: Once you have time to investigate it, you'll see.
...I HOPE someday! :D I'm very absorted in Moho things at this time and I've had no time to experiment with that Solo yet, a pity... :cry:
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Harmony starts at 15000$ usd, it is for big studio and was released about a year ago. Toon Boom just released Solo, which is a standalone version of Harmony, it is listed at 3000$ usd and cost 2000$ usd to upgrade from Studio which is 399$ usd, go figure.

Harmony and Solo dont have bones but handles which allows cut-outs to be rotated around an axis.

I have looked at the Solo demo, it is a quite capable piece of software and allow cut-outs and classical animation workflow. It has very good tools but lacks some of the cool things found in Moho.