Problem with OpenType fonts?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

paccer

Problem with OpenType fonts?

Post by paccer »

When I enter some text into AS9, the list of fonts that I can choose from does not include any of the OpenType fonts (*.otf) that I have on my PC. Is that a bug in AS9, or a "feature"?

It's a bit annoying because the OpenType fonts I have work well in other applications, and look good. There are various ways of converting OpenType fonts to TrueType (*.ttf), but they all seem to cause a visible loss in quality.
daney7g

Re: Problem with OpenType fonts?

Post by daney7g »

I have this issue also, im don't think anime studio 9 supports opentype font's. This is a shame as i have some nice fonts that are opentype.
"If you do nothing, nothing happens!" Jacque Fresco
arfa

Post by arfa »

Text generally adds a lot of points - large files, long render etc.

How about using a png of your text?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

As long as you don't animate the shape of individual letters, you're much better off with a PNG of your text. AS doesn't give much control over typography, something which is essential to me.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
JCook

Post by JCook »

Open Type fonts are available in ASPro 9 on my Mac, but ASPro doesn't handle text very well, I've found, no matter what type of font it is. It seems to treat the text like a drawn object, not like a text object as Illustrator does, for example. You can edit the text, but the outlines of the letters are not true to the font. I use PNG files with transparent backgrounds for text, as slowtiger suggests.

Jack
daney7g

Post by daney7g »

I think with a few adaptations like opentype fonts as an example the creative range of anime studio and could improve considerably without losing its core focus. I'm considering using it for info graphics/motion graphics as an addition character animation.
"If you do nothing, nothing happens!" Jacque Fresco
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Are you guys talking about regular outlined vector text, the new "Text Layer" type or both?
Current versions of ASP seem to render text a lot better than in the past. Also there are converters out there to change font types (I've had to do this a lot for some of my print work. Changing computers caused print app docs not to open because the fonts were the wrong type.)

The main limitation of the new live, text layer type in ASP is the KERNING limitations. Most of the kerning works okay, but in many cases initial caps on words are not spaced correctly and have to be tweaked (I use crazy tricks with variable multiple spaces between letters to get the exact kerning I need). Still, it's awesome to have live text in AS now.

If anyone is interested in FREAKING COOL EASY animated text effects in AS, check out this menu/button script I created.
It only works on the old outlined vector text though.

spinning-text-titling-script