We need more tutorials...

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

InfoCentral

We need more tutorials...

Post by InfoCentral »

So where are all the new tutorials? What we really need here is a lot more tutorials and I mean specific and project oriented. Not this...this tool does this...and this tool does that...interface junk.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
daney7g

Re: We need more tutorials...

Post by daney7g »

I said the same in my post, we need a place for tutorials which are categorized and project orientated. I'm gonna put it to the admins see what they say.
"If you do nothing, nothing happens!" Jacque Fresco
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Apparently they don't want to host anything. I would think they would want to have a few related file areas like, tutorials, plug-ins, and one for sharing that would include materials, motions, images, etc. I guess its going to take the 2d companies a while to discover what the 3d companies are doing.
daney7g

Post by daney7g »

Who said they don't want to host anything did you ask the forum people or smith micro? Perhaps we should gather peoples views and see what they think about injecting some new ideas into the mix. I think there is a lot of room for improvement, for example areas like script writing, drawing, video editing, composting and even cinematography which are all an essential parts of the production process are not catered for and arguably add an extra touch of professionalism to any project. I assume most people want to make the best quality animations possible, so it stands to reason that the broad range of crafts surrounding animation need to be prominent so that people can make the best of their efforts. I think the interface tutorials are invaluable for those just starting out i know i've used them myself, being a novice i can attest to their usefulness for this area.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

you could always make the suggestion to jhaustin1969? : see viewtopic.php?t=21408 he has an AS resource and a website with a "tutorials" section: http://animestudio.potentialsunleashed.com/
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

daney7g wrote:Who said they don't want to host anything did you ask the forum people or smith micro?

I'm gonna put it to the admins see what they say.
I'm kinda new around here so do let us know what they say... :lol:

BTW, does anyone know when the last webinar was held? It was back in November 15, 2012. And I don't see anything scheduled for March yet either. I guess everyone is hyped up on the new release of Manga Studio. I have heard nothing but rave reviews of it.
daney7g

Post by daney7g »

Thanks for the link to website infocentral it's gone into my bookmarks :D I have been very busy lately so have not had the chance to ask the admins yet when i do ill let you know.

Perhaps when ideas like this http://phpbbsocialnetwork.com/ are more developed it could be option here? It has to be a good thing to expand the usability of the site and make it more dynamic.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Perhaps...
daney7g

Post by daney7g »

I not sure about you but personally im used to rich user experiences, ease of use and slick design. Im totally spoiled but not in a detrimental way i hope, i've come to learn that there is science behind all the eye candy and usability that i and many others enjoy today and this inspired me learn to more and dig deeper. Change is not easy and most often not welcome perhaps the site could do with a new platform to help promote and grow the community in new ways whilst still retaining the best of the old. Change is not always easy and for me its the same but then change happens like it or not and all to often not, its wise in my view to be awake and aware so that you are as best prepared as you can be. Bit of a tangent lol :D
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

daney7g wrote:I have been very busy lately so have not had the chance to ask the admins yet when i do ill let you know.
So have you heard anything? I don't see any file area's added... :?
daney7g

Post by daney7g »

I sent a message to the mods and got one reply from Fahim to which he asked for some information which i provided as best i could and ive not heard back from him/them. I sent it to all mods as a pm but only Fahim answered.

Here was the message i sent:

I was asking around the general discussion thread for people's views on having a section for tutorials and got some good feedback. I wondered if the admin and moderator groups were interested in enhancing the site and the As community in general? I've categorized the suggestions that were mentioned by myself and others. Your feedback would be appreciated!

The categories are loosely based around the idea of community enhancement and participation which is heart the heart of any healthy online community. I've noticed from my own research efforts that there is much more to the overall animation pipeline that is covered on the site thus far. The additional subject matter areas and features would add extra value to the site and be of considerable benefit for most people beginners and professionals alike.

Downloadable Files
Downloadable Scripts
Downloadable Artwork
Downloadable Project files
TutorialsCategorized Project oriented
Themed

Other relevant areas surrounding production
Story boarding (edit)
Project organization
Script writing
Drawing
Video editing
Composting
Cinematography
Design
3dEct

Social & Community
Beginners group
Networked with other As sites

His reply:

Hi Daney,

Thank you for your feedback. Can you please send me the thread where you and other discuss enhancements to the LM forums. As you can appreciate, making changes to the forums can cause confusion. So I'd like to make sure we review the requested changes and see where to make them. Further, I think we should send out a survey to the LM base and see where we should make these changes, this is a bit more all inclusive.

Looking forward to hearing from you and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Regards,

Fahim

My reply:

Hi Fahim thanks for getting back to me, bellow are the link to the threads about tutorials mostly.

I left sound of the last list i sent you which is very important.

--------
Forum Threads::

Subject: We need more tutorials...

Member: Info central
Replies 8
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23840

Subject: Tutorials thread?

Member: Daney7g
Replies 6
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23833

Subject: VTC Anime Studio Pro Video Tutorial

Member: Ronbo
Replies 70

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12524

Subject matter: Character Animation Video Tutorial Series

Memeber: GCharb
Replies 241
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19632

Subject: Writing a tutorial, some input would be nice.

Member: Joofville
Replies 17
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23496

As you can see if you browse the General Anime Studio Discussion forum there is a high density of interest over time surrounding tutorials and learning material. As a novice myself having access to relevant instruction is a big want! This was one the reasons i choose Anime studio over Toon Boom because the of free tutorials and community support to help get me started.

Most of the suggestions beyond the scope of tutorials is from my own research and interests. I like to add that some people may not why some of the suggestions are relevant to anime studio 9 animation or professional animation production, so as well as asking people what they want it may be helpful to inform as to what an full animation production pipeline might look like so they know what the benefits are for high quality professional results. This sort of support and thoughtfulness would be an attractive element to professionals and good support for beginners alike.

Thanks, Dane

That was it...
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

but don't the 'how do I?' and 'tips and tricks' categories cover it? Regardless of categorization, things will always become cluttered and difficult to find... to dissect the forum into many subsections may create more problems than it solves - is this tutorial subject A or subject B? it has a bit of both... hmm

Failing that, maybe contact user Jez Jones who started a video tutorial archive for AS - www.animestudiotutor.com - perhaps if you have ideas about tagging and categorising there might help?? I dunno, but even if the forum is split up, who is going to go through the years of material here and put it in the right place?!
Fahim

Post by Fahim »

InfoCentral wrote:BTW, does anyone know when the last webinar was held? It was back in November 15, 2012. And I don't see anything scheduled for March yet either. I guess everyone is hyped up on the new release of Manga Studio. I have heard nothing but rave reviews of it.
Agreed, it definitely has been a while since our last AS webinar. We're organizing one in April, so please stay tuned.
Fahim

Post by Fahim »

InfoCentral wrote:So where are all the new tutorials? What we really need here is a lot more tutorials and I mean specific and project oriented. Not this...this tool does this...and this tool does that...interface junk.
Thanks for the feedback, I am looking into this and definitely believe this is a good idea.
daney7g

Post by daney7g »

I love the idea about tagging ive used it in other places and its very powerful.