Stuttering animation

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mpierich

Stuttering animation

Post by mpierich »

Hello,

I'm new here - the name is Mike. I'm an amateur at graphics, especially animation. I can't even draw much, but I do have a pretty good eye and can do a lot of stuff with graphics software.

I have been able to make some short animations - big learning curve for me. My main problem so far is that some of my ani's come out "jerky". One I'm thinking of is where I imported a jpeg, and used it as an animated background. I just dragged the image across the screen to have it pass by the view. I didn't use the camera controls.... could that make a difference? Anyhow, as is, the animation came out stuttering - and it was also there when I converted it to video.

Any help?

Thanks. :)
oakesy

Re: Stuttering animation

Post by oakesy »

Timeline and Actions. If you want an image to move around separate from original animation then have quick look at the tutorials videos and bookmark them. Now your image imported will create a layer in the middle of the screen. Select Actions via Windows drop selection. Name this as IMG1. On the Timeline move to 1 trial and error dictates here when you move your IMG1 and stop you will see the Timeline produce dots this where you have stopped in the frame. Little maths now 24 =1 second or 24FPS. Best with Grid display under View drop selection as a frame to work with in movements. Try this first to see how the IMG1 moves before next part needed. If happy with the result you can save the Action by clicking the Mainline above your IMG1 in Action section. This will return you back to 0. You will already see symbol next to the Timeline with the dots in the row. Next move to 1 in the Timeline and look at the Action Box click on the IMG1 then just above there is a row of symbols click on the one with a red arrow pointing right this will make Timeline highlighted in red with arrows. Press play and you will see your results moving through the Timeline.

Another method is to do with Layer moving, Here is where Action Timeline and Layer button works by the Action just created can be moved around the screen within the allotted time of the animation. You could also experiment with Camera too to see how much work will be needed to improve IMG1 tracking. Let say we made out Actions IMG1 the same length as the Animation of 10 seconds 24fpsX10=240.
1. Click on the IMG1 layer on the right then click the Layer symbol next a cross on a folding paper.
2. Move the Timeline to 1 and there athe centre of the screen is a blue dot.
3. Move your bluedot to the left or the way you would like the IMG1 to start from lets say for argument the far left.
4. You will note a blue line has followed the dot click there as the starting point for Timeline 1.
5. Move your Timeline on to the next part of your movement of IMG1 end of the screen Right. let say 120. this will be 5 seconds.
6. Click on the blue dot and move to the rightside and stop.
7. Repeat 5 and 6 to end your animation say on the left top of the screen or in the middle.

Hopefully some grown up will come along and rebuke me here I think but this is a poor mans effort.
If your happy with results put you handy work into a folder under Group and name IOU a cup of tea.
A smile is better than a punch even when you want to.

Regards John from Merry England.

MacPro and proud.
mpierich

Post by mpierich »

Thanks, John! I'll work through those step by step - sounds like some things I haven't seen yet. BTW I'm using Debut 9x, should have mentioned that so sorry if Debut is different from Pro.

Thanx again. Cheerio! :)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Uhm, it's much easier.

Place that image. Select the "translate layer" tool (1) and click in the project window, to create a first keyframe.
Go to another frame later, move the image with that tool. This creates 2nd key. Image moves now.

The effect you describe is known as "shattering" and happens in live action as well. It happens when the image moves a too large distance for the given time. Example: image goes through the complete frame within only 1 second. You can only make the movement longer in time, or shorter in distance on the screen. Applying motion blur might help a bit.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
mpierich

Post by mpierich »

Thanks. What I was doing was setting image layer on the left in the frame, then clicking on 240 and moving the image layer to the opposite side, so it moves slowly across the screen.

I thought the interpolation between key points would make a smooth movement, but like I said when played or converted, the movement isn't smooth. I think you're saying to make each keypoint manually across the whole animation. Thanks, I'll try it.

slowtiger wrote:Uhm, it's much easier.

Place that image. Select the "translate layer" tool (1) and click in the project window, to create a first keyframe.
Go to another frame later, move the image with that tool. This creates 2nd key. Image moves now.

The effect you describe is known as "shattering" and happens in live action as well. It happens when the image moves a too large distance for the given time. Example: image goes through the complete frame within only 1 second. You can only make the movement longer in time, or shorter in distance on the screen. Applying motion blur might help a bit.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

If you are using AVI uncompressed it could be the video will be just fine after you do a final compressed render.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
mpierich

Post by mpierich »

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to figure out how to do that! :?

sbtamu wrote:If you are using AVI uncompressed it could be the video will be just fine after you do a final compressed render.