Image resolution loss and non-smooth edges- How to solve?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

love for animation

Image resolution loss and non-smooth edges- How to solve?

Post by love for animation »

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how to solve this-

I imported a PNG image(300 dpi), but when I rendered the animation(as images or as animation), the image seems to loose resolution and I get non-smooth lines (I can also see those lines and resolution loss when I just upload the image to the working space on AS)

Here is the original PNG image(300 dpi)-

And here after rendered(look at the skin edge for example)-

I tried playing with the antialiased edges(just before exporting) as well as other adjustments(like changing project settings to HD etc.), but nothing solved this issue.

Can someone suggest a solution to this?

Thank you in advanced for any advice.

I.
funksmaname

Re: Image resolution loss and non-smooth edges- How to solve

Post by funksmaname »

Maybe I'm going blind but the hair/black lines look pretty identical.
The main problem I can see is a white pixel halo around the edge - is it a 24bit PNG?

The main thing I would say is that with this style there's NO reason not to redraw it as vector in AS and EVERY reason TO.
love for animation

Hello funksmaname,

The original image is true color+alpha export, 300 dpi transparent background PNG, created by a different vector illustration program, and then imported to AS pro 8.

The problem of loss in quality of the images is seen in both animation export and image export (from AS) and I tried almost every option, such as HD animation export which I normally use(QT-->animation-->millions of colors+)and more.

I also tried making the transparency (alpha channel) using fuzzy brushes etc. so it is not the problem (the transparent background images are in high quality/resolution)

The image provided is just an example (maybe not the best one :wink: ) and the differences are mainly seen on the skin's edges.

The Question is in general, as I use different images and styles- the problem always remains concerning the loss of resolution and quality of the PNG images.

I even tried to import to AS very large PNG images (800 dpi and even more) but the problem always remains- when I export from AS(or even when I just upload the images to AS working space), the images seem to lose resolution and quality and do knot keep the high, 300 dpi, quality (the immediate result is those non-smooth edges that in some cases are very noticeable)

So, I still hope for any solution and advice.

Thank you.

I.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Hey,
I never use images so unfortunately don't have much advice to offer.
I would have thought that importing larger resolution images would help but sounds like you tried it.
What about working at a bigger than 100% size and then exporting a PNG sequence which is then reduced elsewhere?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I avoid sharp edges in image files since they tend to get a light rim in AS. Instead, I use a 1px fuzzy mask for all images, and so far this has solved my problems. Also my bitmap assets are at least of double size of what I finally render in AS.
love for animation

Hello again and thank you for the additional replies.

Slowtiger- Thank you for the advice.
I tried that in the past (there is also another thread about this issue mentioning white lines along image's edges, where you also helped and advised :D ), but unfortunately with medium results and also, it does not solve the issue with inner lines within the illustrations.

funksmaname- Thanks for the additional advice.

I also noticed an even weirder issue- when I scale down the image, it becomes more pixeled! (weird I know :? )

Well,very strange issue to solve.

Thanks again,

I.
heiseman

Post by heiseman »

You could try having very high resolution artwork to start with, then putting a 1% opacity fill of any colour behind the whole thing. I believe this solved the issue for me last time I was dealing with PNGs.
Check out my animations:
Motionlab Animations
Motionlab on Vimeo
love for animation

Hello heiseman,

Very interesting idea. Thank you.

Can you please explain how to put a fill behind it?

Thank you.

I.
heiseman

Post by heiseman »

I did this inside Photoshop with layers. I put a layer in the background with a white fill. I then made the opacity 1% and exported a PNG. Hope that helps.
Check out my animations:
Motionlab Animations
Motionlab on Vimeo
love for animation

Thank you for the additional info. :D

Kind regards,

I.