software performance stops sometimes?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Animark

software performance stops sometimes?

Post by Animark »

Hello,

I have a strange little problem and hope, someone have a hint for a solution :-).

I am working on a big, but not too big project (4 characters, full hd, only vector graphics created in Anime Studio, only low polygon graphics, scene length about 500 frames, no video, no audio). Every ca. 10 seconds the performance stops for 2 seconds. During that 2 seconds I am not able to do anything in Anime Studio. It's not possible to scratch over the timeline, not possible to move a bone or something else. Even when I click the "about anime studio" under the help menue the credits are stop scrolling for the two seconds.

I have the same behaviour on two different machines and with two versions (8.1 and 8.2) of anime studio. I also tried to work from different harddrives - that also don't makes a different :-(

My configs
Anime Studio Pro (8.1 and 8.2)
Windows 7 64 bit (8 GB Ram)
Wacom Cintiq 21 UX Display

The problem only happens with this one big file (or copys of it). Are there some restrictions with bigger files or resolutions? On my hd the file needs 14 MB - it's not a lot, I would say.

Did someone ever had the same problem and maybe a solution for me - where to search for the problem for example?

Thanks in advance,
Animark
slowtiger

Re: software performance stops sometimes?

Post by slowtiger »

This had happened to me as well. In a project with about 80 different files, only 10 or so were affected. Very annoying, and even deleting unnecessary layers didn't help, nor switching off images of visibility of all but the layers I just worked with.
2ner

Post by 2ner »

Sounds like it might be auto-save, which can be disabled.
Animark

Post by Animark »

Autosave - yes.
I disabled autosave and it seems to be the solution for the problem. I just did a quicktest now and will test it more later.
But the performance stop has gone :-) Many thanks for that hint!

To be clear:
- "Autosave for crash recovery" saves every 10 seconds or so
- if the file needs some time to save (yes, I have more than 100 layer here) you will start to feel the save process and should better disable the autosave.

hmh? Wouldn't it be nicer to have an autosave function every 10 minutes, or every X minutes so the user could decide how often?
oakesy

Post by oakesy »

Sounds like something is hogging the graphics ram. Do you have any other programs working as well webcams or something is making your renditioning slow down. :(
A smile is better than a punch even when you want to.

Regards John from Merry England.

MacPro and proud.
Animark

Post by Animark »

OK, I animated about an hour with that file and can definitely say: Autosave made the problem. I disabled and everything runs fine.

Thanks again :-)